Options

H1B Visa Program views

StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
What's everyone's views on the H1B Visa Program? Many high-tech companies are saying there aren't enough qualified technologists in the United States and that they need an increase of foreign workers in order to continue to improve. Others are saying that there are plenty of workers availabe, and that high-tech companies are just looking into foreign workers because they're much cheaper then American workers. Currently the # of allowed foreign workers is around 160,000 or something like that. Microsoft and other companies want to completely open the flood doors and allow anyone to work here.

Personally, from what I've seen, this can only have a negative effect on us American IT workers and I strictly oppose it. From what I don't understand, is that although theyre saying they need more and more qualified workers, how come wages aren't rising? Where is the supply and demand? They say that not enough US citizens are going into the field. If they show theyre demand through increased salary, then more people would consider the field.

Comments

• Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is depent of who you ask.

There are few student of IT in the colleges, but also the companies want High skills and low payments.

Indians companies that they have office here in EE.UU want to bring employees with low payment and also want these employees to learn the system of their customers and move that system to India.

I read that the congress wants to internview these Indians companies bacause they tried to obtain H1b visas for many of thier employees and they did not try to hire and train american techs.

This is my 2 cents.

Raul
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    I guess you can take comfort in the fact that H-1B limit quickly becomes reached.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    impelse wrote:
    I read that the congress wants to internview these Indians companies bacause they tried to obtain H1b visas for many of thier employees and they did not try to hire and train american techs.
    Indian businesses are accused of hiring Indian high-tech workers and sending them to the USA using H1-B visas for two years to get training and experience, after which the workers will return to India to work for the Indian businesses. The outsourcing of foreign workers for training isn't what the H1-B visa is suppose to be used for.

Indian vendors reply to U.S. senators' H1-B inquiry
    I guess you can take comfort in the fact that H-1B limit quickly becomes reached.

Yup. Supposedly over 160K applications were submitted in the first two days with only 65K openings offered. I'd say that was quick. The people that really clean up are the middle-man agencies that file the H1-B visas on behalf of the foreign workers. These agencies get paid regardless if the visa application is accepted or not.

US H1-B visa limits already reached for 2006

Increasing number of H1-B visas bad for America and American businesses
  • Options
    dagger1xdagger1x Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont think their should be one foreign worker in this country. As a career machinist they have shipped several of my jobs overseas as the manufacturing worker was carved up like a thanksgiving day turkey on capitol hill. The last company I worked for collapsed as the work went to Canada and Mexico. I was hoping for that to be a break as I took advantage of NAFTA and went back to school to get a AAS in networking. Now I look up and their driving down the wages of this and other industries with the H1B. Im mad and fed up with politicians that are in the pocket of corporate America

both sides of the aisle
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    what abt those # of americans who work outside the US icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif....

i think thts rather a very selfish comment
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    yeah it is a selfish comment and my family is eating hotdogs purchased with an edt card. Maybe if greedy corporate America hadnt sold you're job down the river you could work closer to home
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    dagger1x wrote:
    yeah it is a selfish comment and my family is eating hotdogs purchased with an edt card. Maybe if greedy corporate America hadnt sold you're job down the river you could work closer to home

Your actually saying ur family is eating hotdogs purchased with credit cards because of H1B workers?
    icon_lol.gif

how arrogant
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    elover_jm wrote:
    dagger1x wrote:

Your actually saying ur family is eating hotdogs purchased with credit cards because of H1B workers?
    icon_lol.gif

how arrogant

Not at all, im saying that my family's (wife, 2 children under 4 and myself) eating hotdogs purchased with electronic benefits transfer card (food stamps). For the last 30 years the politicians have been screwing the manufacturing union employees by removing trade barriers and forcing us to compete with 3rd world and developing countries that dont face the same obstacles as manufactureres in the US. After ruining my career as a machine operator I took the one slimey bone they tossed me (NAFTA) and retrained hitching my fututre to what seemed like an occupation with a hope. Now I find that the politicians screwed me going as they saturate this market with geeks from other 3rd world and developing countries driving down wages and taking jobs from Americans. You want to talk jobs, the political and economic forces effecting that environment....fine...leave the personal attacks out of it

Living wage, American Dream, Apple pie & all that
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Actually right now there is a lot of political pressure against this. Blame corporate America, who's trying to milk employees for every penny.