Options

Military thinking about Seperating

cgullettcgullett Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I must say I just found this forum and it is amazing.
I've got a quick question or more of an opinion.

I've been in the military for 4 years now and I’m thinking about getting out, i know there are a lot of jobs out there, but do you think i would have a hard time finding a job, and possible what do you believe my pay would be?

First off, I have my associates in Information Technology and I currently have about 1 year left on my bachelors with Devry (Technical management with network concentration)

I have not taken the CCNA exam yet, but I do believe I will have it before I get out (2 months)

Job Experience:

My main job is flying a UAV. Well there is more to that, I don't actually fly it, i maintain the link for the aircraft.
My main job is VOIP (and my passion). We have a multiple cluster CallManager system that we maintain. I have trained many troops on the foundation of the VOIP system, and if there is a problem with the system I am the one they call in. Needless to say, I am the local VOIP expert. The downfall is i have had no formal training. Everything i have learned about VOIP is self taught and trial and error.

We also maintain ATM, and Ethernet networks. I Deal with a lot of fiber, I have experience in terminating fiber, and cat5. I have configured Cisco routers. 98% of my job experience is Cisco oriented.

I also have experience with crypto, I don't know how much that is needed on the outside world.
I have basic knowledge of all networking.

I appreciate you guys taking a look at this, I started to notice that this is almost like a resume and if this is a no for this forum I apologize. I am just curious, if I am wanted on the outside.

If you have any questions just let me know, I'm deployed right now, so All I have is time....

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sounds like you've got a lot of experience in the Cisco field, so continuing pursuing CCNA sounds like a good idea. If you're working with VoIP, then you're probably going to gravitate towards CCVP, if not the rest of the professional-level Cisco certs. Beyond working with Cisco equipment, I'd say that finishing your Bachelor's degree should be high on your list of priorities. Between the experience you already have and the knowledge gained from both your degree and your certs, you should have no trouble finding work in IT, specifically doing voice work, which is hot right now. Also, with your military background, working with security is probably a good way to go as well, since a lot of security-related positions consider military experience a big plus. There are lots of certs out there specifically geared towards security, such as CCSP, Security+, CISSP, and not to mention security-focuses, like MCSE: Security.

I hope that gives you some ideas, and good luck on your career change. Let us know how you progress, and where your experience takes you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums. Yes, this is a great community.

I left the military 6 1/2 years ago. Since then, my positions have included 4.5 years as a sys admin, 7 months on a wireless field service engineer contract in the Middle East, and 15 months in IT support for a semiconductor design firm.

A+, MCP and AAS degree helped land the first position immediately after getting out. Starting salary at that time wasn't great, but the benefits, experience, and bonuses made up for the lesser salary. Plus, I was able to weather the last IT downturn at that position. I earned my bachelors within a few years of leaving the service, and am currently working on a masters. I recently changed grad programs, so this degree may take a little longer than originally anticipated. My current position required a bachelors and experience. The certs played a big role in my hiring, but were not a deciding factor.

A degree, certs, and experience all help considerably when applying out in the civilian world. Security clearances are also very valuable to many employers, particularly federal contractors. You may see some opportunity there. Knock out a few certs and start interviewing before seperation, and you should be fine. Start interviewing now, for that matter. Some parts of the country aren't so good for IT opportunities, while other regions can't find enough workers. You may want to keep a mobile attitude in mind when leaving the service.

Good luck.
  • Options
    cgullettcgullett Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies...

I have been putting off interviewing, but I think it is a good idea to start. Thanks for the advice. I've also thought about biting the bullet and taking VOIP boot camp, do you guys have any suggestions about that?

What career field and service where you in?

I'm a 3c2 in the Air Force.