Oppinions

dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
Well im considering eventualy getting my CCIE one day. The con of this is no one in my country ( Malta) has this cert and was wondering if this is worth the money and effort it will eventualy require.
Oppinions will be appriciated

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd do it just so I could say I was the only one in Malta with their CCIE :)

I don't know what the job market for people with their CCIE is in Malta, but I would believe companies are in need of those skills and since there is no one with those skills they most likely depend on outside contractors for CCIE's. I think the CCIE is worthwhile anywhere, even if it's only in terms of the knowledge gained in the pursuit of the CCIE certification. I have heard that some countries wave citizenship/visa requirements for highly skilled people (such as people with a CCIE), but if I were you I don't think I would want to move from Malta.

As far as the cost, people have passed the certification using dynamips for much of their studies, and remote racks for the rest. You need a few books, the doc CD and eventually a vendor lab workbook to practice. I think it can be done withouot investing huge amounts of money (however one of my coworkers however has invested over $50,000 and not passed yet).
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:

I don't know what the job market for people with their CCIE is in Malta, but I would believe companies are in need of those skills and since there is no one with those skills they most likely depend on outside contractors for CCIE's.

You don't need the cert to have the skills!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    EdTheLad wrote:
    dtlokee wrote:

I don't know what the job market for people with their CCIE is in Malta, but I would believe companies are in need of those skills and since there is no one with those skills they most likely depend on outside contractors for CCIE's.

Get outta here, you must be itching to change that "Working on CCIE" to a number and you know it icon_lol.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□

You are 100% correct, but I hear this all the time from students who don't want to take CCNA training and move on to CCNP without their CCNA saying they work with Cisco routers and switches and they have CCNA level skills. So the question is, if you have the skills, why not get the cert?

But again, I think anyone who has studied for their CCIE has learned volumes of information, regardless of where they started out.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    ya im defenetly going for it since T-com investments is creating this masive IT city in malta. I can sense that a market for the CCIE will be available wen its completed.