Job interview for a PC network tech position tomorrow

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'll probably need to know Server 2003, VPN, etc
I plan to go through some server labs later to refresh, any other suggestions? I've never used VPN so I'm not sure how to practice it unless I can set it up between my desktop and laptop computer.

The company is only 20 minutes from where I live...whereas, most jobs lately have been an hour away(in the city). With bills a week away...I must get this job. icon_eek.gif

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• TBLTZTBLTZ Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck.

It all depends on what type of VPN using windows servers or a WAN VPN with cisco routers?

Just tell them you like learning and troubleshooting and you don't get fustrated easily.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck KG. icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck, as a network tech I deal mostly with Cisco stuff so brushing up on the OSI model, spanning tree, and the differences between a hub, switch, and router might be beneficial as well.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It lasted an hour(whoo)...he asked me to explain IGRP and show how I would troubleshoot DNS on a Server 2003 machine, and I froze up. I couldn't remember. icon_redface.gif

I answered everything else he asked honestly and gave some good answers. He's not sure whether they want to hire me due to my lack of Server 2003 knowledge. I told him I would be willing to learn, since they have one that is giving them problems that they are rebuilding right now. (DNS issues)

Pretty tough situation, server 2003 is one of my weakness at the moment and if I knew it well enough then they would give me the job right now. They are going to decide after interviewing other candidates this week.

Should I offer to do some volunteer work at the company, to show that I can do the job? I'm starting to look screwed..I'm always over or under the job requirements. :/

KG
    Oh, and it turned out...the actual job title was "Network Engineer," which I learned when I got there.
    What the?

KG
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Well it doesn't sound good for the network engineer spot but maybe if you really want to work for this company they have something a bit lower on the food chain? The good thing about the interview even though it didn't go as well as you had hoped you now know some areas you need to focus on plus you have made new contacts. Hopefully you asked your interviewer for their business card so now you have a direct contact in that company without having to go through their HR. Even if they don't have any other openings if you thank them for their time and interest in you and show a real desire to work for them you never know what might happen. I would check back with them periodically by email, reminding them what you have to offer and keeping them up to date on your new certifications etc. Do that and the next time they have an opening you will likely be the first candidate they think of. Just my two cents...
    I asked about lower positions, and he said he could send me out to perform on-site service requests, mainly installing software on client machines such as Quickbooks and troubleshooting everyday computer issues.

I'm going to send him a thank you letter, regardless.

Now my issue is money. I'm broke and can't afford to pay my bills next week...maybe I should call around and offer technican support so I can get by?

This sucks...I spend hours everyday studying and retain so little of it. I knew how to use Server 2003 a year ago. >_<

KG
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    I know where you are coming from. It's incredibly hard financially to get into IT in my opinion. I see job listings all the time for PC techs for $9-$12, many of them wanting A+ certification. You can make that or more waiting tables at any decent restaurant and all you need to know for that is the menu.

But I think in the long run it is all worth it if you really enjoy this kind of work. Hang in there!
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't worry. Sometime is happened. Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • TBLTZTBLTZ Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    It lasted an hour(whoo)...he asked me to explain IGRP and show how I would troubleshoot DNS on a Server 2003 machine, and I froze up. I couldn't remember. icon_redface.gif

I answered everything else he asked honestly and gave some good answers. He's not sure whether they want to hire me due to my lack of Server 2003 knowledge. I told him I would be willing to learn, since they have one that is giving them problems that they are rebuilding right now. (DNS issues)

Pretty tough situation, server 2003 is one of my weakness at the moment and if I knew it well enough then they would give me the job right now. They are going to decide after interviewing other candidates this week.

Should I offer to do some volunteer work at the company, to show that I can do the job? I'm starting to look screwed..I'm always over or under the job requirements. :/

KG

What it a DNS issue internet or email related or PC's finding DC's?
    from what I recall from the meeting, it sounded like they had a server with a RAID setup which crashed. They had to rebuild everything from old backups and didn't have a good one. So they are now having to rebuild a lot of the stuff they lost on the server.

I emailed him earlier with some suggestions on what to check to ensure that the client machines were receiving DNS information...but he seemed pretty confident that the problem is server-related. In that case, I don't really know how to troubleshoot the server.

KG
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I asked about lower positions, and he said he could send me out to perform on-site service requests, mainly installing software on client machines such as Quickbooks and troubleshooting everyday computer issues.

I'm going to send him a thank you letter, regardless.

Now my issue is money. I'm broke and can't afford to pay my bills next week...maybe I should call around and offer technican support so I can get by?

This sucks...I spend hours everyday studying and retain so little of it. I knew how to use Server 2003 a year ago. >_<

KG

KGhaleon,

You are not the only person to experience memory loss on subjects that were clear a while back. Nobody, minus the super geniuses who work in more demanding work environments (eg NASA engineers)....retains every last detail of everything they have studied, it's true.

One thing I have insisted that I do recently, is compile several graphical representations of how each piece of important technology work's. For example, i am working on a complete DHCP "explanation" on one visio diagram currently. You can fit the notes for DHCP on several pages, but I prefer to keep it simple....one page I can just pull out, the diagram shows the 80:20 rule, DORA, scopes/superscopes DHCP Relay agent, rogue DHCP servers, and importantly all the commands associated with troubleshooting etc etc. I am doing diagrams for many other subejcts also so I can retain the information more easily.

Its scientific fact, that people retain information better when he/she see's it graphically. Practicing with a spare box and chucking server on it is also a good move....and you say you are doing that. The more demanding fact's come with practice, the diagrams are more helpful on foundations.

I hope this is some help to you...as it is to me.

Cheers and goodluck with the job hunting.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    I've been thinking about doing something like that to the walls in my room(not on the walls, heh). I'll probably staple the pages so I can stare at them all day while I walk around...

...oh god. icon_eek.gif

I did hear back from my interviewer, he said that they resolved the DNS issue. When they rebuilt the server in the office it gathered all of the DNS info off of their network. It was still trying to use those settings at the client location. Once they corrected them and rebuilt the Active Directory all was working perfectly again.

I don't really understand, I'll need to get a server book and relearn DNS.

KG
    DNS is still kicking me in the ballz also, I hate it :p

Goodluck dude.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well for better or worse it sounds like they don't have much of a clue either. No decent backups? No understanding of how DNS works in 2k3 (on their part, in their own live network....)? It sounds like the job was a kneejerk reaction when reality kicked them in the balls. Don't beat yourself up as at worst your knowledge was no better than theirs. If they still have not given you an answer the only advice I can give is be more confident when dealing with them, they are still talking to you and again they made some pretty big blunders themselves - no one's perfect so don't approach this feeling like an underdog.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • corey1980corey1980 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    KGhaleon wrote:
    KGhaleon,

You are not the only person to experience memory loss on subjects that were clear a while back. Nobody, minus the super geniuses who work in more demanding work environments (eg NASA engineers)....retains every last detail of everything they have studied, it's true.

One thing I have insisted that I do recently, is compile several graphical representations of how each piece of important technology work's. For example, i am working on a complete DHCP "explanation" on one visio diagram currently. You can fit the notes for DHCP on several pages, but I prefer to keep it simple....one page I can just pull out, the diagram shows the 80:20 rule, DORA, scopes/superscopes DHCP Relay agent, rogue DHCP servers, and importantly all the commands associated with troubleshooting etc etc. I am doing diagrams for many other subejcts also so I can retain the information more easily.

Its scientific fact, that people retain information better when he/she see's it graphically. Practicing with a spare box and chucking server on it is also a good move....and you say you are doing that. The more demanding fact's come with practice, the diagrams are more helpful on foundations.

I hope this is some help to you...as it is to me.

Cheers and goodluck with the job hunting.

Would you mind sharing what you mean by graphical representation? I'm having a hard time picturing what you are talking about but I am interested.
    I think he just means that you should try and fit a summary of a topic on one page. Say, have a page that explains RIP or IGRP with basic configuration commands(needed for a job), etc so when you need to remember something...you just glance at the paper and it will pop back into your head.

They are going to contact me on monday about whether they want to hire me or not, probably so they can go through other candidates. I figure I'll go over Active directory this weekend and prepare myself in case I get the job. They are also looking for someone who can travel to their client sites and configure software.

I applied for some other jobs recently, so maybe I'll hear something good on monday. I have a relative who is offering to pay my rent for next month...so that gives me some more time. I hate to borrow money though icon_sad.gif

KG
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I think he just means that you should try and fit a summary of a topic on one page. Say, have a page that explains RIP or IGRP with basic configuration commands(needed for a job), etc so when you need to remember something...you just glance at the paper and it will pop back into your head.

They are going to contact me on monday about whether they want to hire me or not, probably so they can go through other candidates. I figure I'll go over Active directory this weekend and prepare myself in case I get the job. They are also looking for someone who can travel to their client sites and configure software.

I applied for some other jobs recently, so maybe I'll hear something good on monday. I have a relative who is offering to pay my rent for next month...so that gives me some more time. I hate to borrow money though icon_sad.gif

KG

Exactly like that. Start with the most detailed explanation of a technology, include IP addresses if you must also and then break it down, get rid of what you don't need...ie the complications and just leave the fundamentals.

The only thing I have come accross so far in IT that can't be explained in a diagram is IP addressing and subnetting.

Cheers,