Options

How to communicate with Customers? Fix Problems?

ScionScion Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello people, I noticed how my A+ 2003 Core exam had a lot of questions on how to be a professional PC Technician. (I had a 864/900. I'm not taking the A+ 2003 OS exam until June 29. I'm not good with the OS due to a lack of experience with any OS other than Windows XP Home Edition. icon_rolleyes.gif ) Apparently it is the focus of the new A+ Exams 2006 as well. Here I have a list of suggestions I complied from experience as part of Mouse Squad Tech Support at my high school. Some customer-related questions are pretty much common-sense, but most of my classmates actually have trouble on these questions. Some other problems on troubleshooting are also among the questions answered wrong most of the time.

Notes on being a customer-friendly professional PC technician:
As a professional PC technician, you all should know that in addition to being updated with new technology and striving for top professional certifications, you need excellent customer relationships.

First put yourself in the customer shoes. What does the customer want? How does he or she want to be treated as? Here are some common-sense factors you need as a PC technician:

- Always have a positive and helpful attitude.
- Take hold of the problem like it's yours. Customer's problem is your problem.
- Be dependable. Keep your promises.
Example: If your appointment with a customer is at 10 am, don't come at 3 pm and make excuses.
- When talking to a customer, focus on the customer, not the broken computer.
- Be credible and truthful. If you don't know the answer to the problem, call someone that knows.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be professional and take note of customers' matters.
Example: You work for a large corporation. You rush into the meeting room where executives and other employees are having a major meeting. The problem was that a one of the employees in the meeting room have games on the computer which is against company policy. The first step you should take is follow company procedures if there is any. If not, you should report it to your supervisor first. Notify the employee after the meeting and remind him or her of company policy. Unless you're sure it's absolutely a game or the supervisor allows you to delete it first or you have notify the employee of the game, then delete the game. Sometimes a game can be a legitimate program. Be careful on these problems. I had one on my practice tests and similar ones on the real exam for A+ Core.
- Be cautious. Don't push to big problem-solvers first. Use the simple methods first.
Example: The monitor doesn't work. What should you do first? Check if the monitor is on, check for system conflicts, load into safe method, check the AC outlet, etc. Generally you should check if the monitor is on, then the AC wall outlet to see if there's power, then load into safe method using VGA mode, and then use device manager to check if the video card is having system resource conflicts with another device.
- Don't hide your mistake. Show the customer your mistake. I actually saw a ridiculous question involving this matter indirectly. Tip: Don't pick the answer that looks like you attempting to hide your carelessness or mistakes.
- Always backup the customer's data before doing anything.
- Notify and keep notes of changes you made to a system.
Keeping notes of your changes are important in case you need to turn back.
Notify the customer of major changes you might do before you do anything. Offer the customer alternatives. Another good tip: Notify the customer that you finish the job.
- Don't trust everything the customer says. If the customer says his sound card doesn't work, it may be just because the audio cord wasn't plugged in the CD drive.
- Know the law and don't do anything illegal. I actually have a question on this on the real exam. Tip: Keywords are copyright, patents, pirated, etc. COMPTIA puts a lot of these keywords on the test for a variety of topics, but then again be careful.
- Act professionally. Don't yell at the customer or argue with him/her.
Let the customer vent its anger unless he/she starts threatening or beating you (which is illegal).

Any comments and suggestions are helpful. I will make changes as I go. icon_wink.gif