Options

Take the job or try for another

Myrdyn98Myrdyn98 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have had my phone interview and I'm going in for the in-person interview on wen. The job is building high end computers for forensic video systems. I would pretty much handle building and the supply side of things and assisted with trouble calls from time to time.

I am looking to advance into sys/network admin and then further on to engineer, possible security.

I'm wondering if i should take the position to build up some form of IT experience, or should I attempt to find a different job that more directly involves Active directory and networking issues. I just don't want to get locked into a job that wont take me very far as far as IT experience. I'm currently employed in a job outside the IT profession, so I don't have a immediate need for a job, but i would like to start my IT career soon. Any input you guys have would be very helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    richnewmanrichnewman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd be interested in this answer too =]
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The sooner, the better. Sometimes it is rather hard to get your foot in the door in the I/T field so you should take this chance. You may end up regretting it later. This would be a good place to develop your hands on skills, your soft skills (the troubleshooting with users) and this would put you in contact with some other people as well.

Obviously you would want to compare your current job situation and make sure you can handle the schedule change, pay change, etc if there is any. I would continue to search as well but don't let this opportunity slip away.

Good luck to you and keep us updated!
  • Options
    One of my main questions in the interview will be career advancement. Hopefully, and I'm sure they do, have an actual network and support people so i can slip in on the sys admin/help desk side later on.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have no IT experience you can ill afford to be very choosy about opportunities like this, or your will find yourself locked out of any IT job, much less a higher end job later on.

Building computers for forensics systems also looks cool on a resume, some dumbass HR person might be impressed by that and invite you for that first interview when you apply for a more network/security related job in the future.

These days, your first IT job is almost never that one where you look for internal advancement or a long term (> 2-3 years IMO) job.

Knowing what I know now, I would not hesitate to take this job, and if there are advancement/development opportunities available there, that is great. If not, you will find them elsewhere.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Well the interview went well. First person I meet was the CEO of the company, so right off the bat in with the big man. Got grilled by the tech guys and they seemed to like my answers. So if all goes well I should have a new job shortly. Pretty rough day, Interview at 10:00, 70-270 test at 2:00, and server 03 class at 6:00.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you get a good interview and you want to break into the field. Take the job.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn