Options

Is this worth getting a security clearance

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
Does having a security clearance make you a lot more marketable? I ask this because a staffing agency found me on dice.com today and wants to send my resume for a 12+ month contract position. They will pay for my security clearance. That is the good thing. There are two really bad things: the pay is horrible ($13/hr with no benefits) and the commute is 1 hr each way. My question is, is getting a "free" security clearance worth that? Will it make me a lot more attractive in the future?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    if you can survive on $12 an hour, and you get decent mileage, go for it. assuming the secuirty clearance is something that wil not expire after you leave that compan.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    if you can survive on $12 an hour, and you get decent mileage, go for it. assuming the secuirty clearance is something that wil not expire after you leave that compan.

Actually $13. :) So I should find out when the security clearance will expire? If after the 1+ years, would having an active (if it is active) security clearance make me a lot more attractive to employers?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

• Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm making $13/hr where I am now with about 40 minute commute each way due to traffic... if they offered to put me in for clearance I'd be happy. It's entry-level though so I can't complain. Can't say that I've even learned much and I've been here almost 8 months now. I'm planning on leaving my company and going back to school full-time about 2 months from now.

I don't think your clearance (if you get it) will expire after 1 year... most are good for several years except the top level ones I believe.

It costs the company several thousand for lower level clearances so other employers that can only hire people who have or can obtain clearance will give you a higher salary due to the fact that they don't have to pay to get you cleared or wait for the process.

My cousin said he'll be able to land me a job that will get me clearance but I have to wait for some stuff with my brother not being a citizen before that can happen. But that's about a year from now so...

I'd say definitely stick it out and go with $13/hr for clearance if you can get by on that kind of pay for now unless some other job offer comes by for like $25/hr+.
  • Options
    If I get it and don't like the job, is it possible to leave right after I get the clearance? How does that work?

• Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Alot of places have you sign some form of contract, in a previous position they would help with 50% of schooling as long as you stuck with the company for so many years after school, if you left early you were forced to pay a pro rated amount back to them to cover the schooling (although I hear that this is like a half truth in many places cause they dont place much effort on getting their money back)... Your mileage may vary.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Find out exactly what kind of security clearance it is and what organization issues it. If the clearance is only valid at the company that you'll be working for it is worthless anywhere else.