Options

Just entering IT field

rookieszxrookieszx Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,
I obtained my A+ and Net + certs back in '03 and have been working in the telecommunications industry ever since. I have been an installer for Verizon and self employed contractor for the local cable company in my area. I want to enter the IT field and pursue my MCSE Cert. My question is would I be better off obtaining an associate degree or a certificate from a computer school? I have noticed that there are some computer based trainings online.. are those worth the money?Also, what is the starting pay for someone with my certs? Would I be asking too much for a starting salary of 40K? I was hoping someone could give me some insight on which direction I should head. I appreciate all and any responses.

Comments

• Options
    TBLTZTBLTZ Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think your need get some experience first. Then a degree or the MCSE will help. 40k could be high to start. But if you live in a city or around it you can probably get that for doing help desk then move up.
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    I agree with TBLTZ. $40k is a lot to start with for an entry-level IT job nowadays. Depending on your location, and the state of the IT careers in your area, a more sensible goal would be between $25k and $30k.

Basically, if you have good soft skills (customer service, personality, etc.), you should be able to find something. Be cautious of large corporations. They would like nothing better than to throw you in a cubicle (if you're lucky) and have you answering phones and emails all day. I personally am a much more hands-on person, and this kind of job would be torture.

Oh, and FYI: IT people with network security experience/knowledge are supposedly HOT right now in the job market. It might be useful to pick up a certificate in that area, like the CCSP.

Good luck!
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    Every situation is different and a majority of the IT jobs you see these days want a degree. You could probably find a lower end IT job and work on your degree while working that job, so you get experience and education at the same time.

Education is just as important as experience when breaking into a field because it can get your foot in the door. So if you can do it and handle the work, then do both at the same time. So by the time you finish school you have a couple years experience under your belt also. Like I said earlier though, every situation is different!

Regards

:D
  • Options
    rookieszxrookieszx Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thank all of you for your responses. Does anyone have experience with the computer based training courses that are online? Are these any good? Thanks.
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do a search for "cbt nuggets" and you will find a ton of posts that will answer your questions about cbt's. For the most part, all I read is good responses from people that are/have using/used them.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depend on your location... 40k will be too much.. not going to happen
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn