Options

How does CWNP rate?

timharpurtimharpur Inactive Imported Users Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just checked out the CWNP site, and it looks interesting - especially since I want to expand my skill in wireless. Does anyone know how the CWNA and CWSP certs rate compared to the CompTIA in both difficulty and in how they are looked at in the proffessional community?

Comments

• Options
    Well.... not only has there been no responce to this post, but there haven't even been any new topics since I posted this one. Clearly the lack of interest in CWNP would indicate that this certification has little to no value at this time.

It would seem that interest in this cert. has improved on this site since I originally posted this comment. I was a little disappointed when, after nearly a month of waiting, I still hadn't gotten a reply. With the interest shown since then, however, it would appear that I should give the cert. a second look.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tim
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    I would say that there is actually an interest in this cert. I do not know how it compares to the rest however. It is fairly new to my knowledge. I plan to look into CWNP down the road a bit. I want to get N+ out of the way and then MCSE
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm actually interested in going for CWNP myself. I don't know how it compares to the CompTIA Certs. I think the CWNP Cert. is and will be good Cert. to have down the road. I think wireless eventually will become much bigger and better from what it is now. If you have the time go for the Cert. I'm going for my CCNA 1st then I'll hit the CWNP cert. myself. icon_cool.gif The more Certs. you have the better your resume will look. :)

Just my opinion. icon_cool.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    kevinatorkevinator Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just because nobody has posted doesn't mean there's no interest in CWNP. This is a very new forum. We (CWNP) just found out about it, and will visit and post as often as necessary to answer questions.

To answer your questions about comparing to CompTIA, the similarities end at vendor neutrality. CompTIA focuses on entry level certs. Net+, A+, Server+, etc., are all aimed at those new to the IT industry. So, while CWNP certs are vendor neutral, we go from entry level (CWNA) up to expert (CWNE), and cover everything related to wireless LAN technologies, not just the basics.

Most would probably say that CWNP cert exams are more difficult than CompTIA's, but that's a matter of preparation, experience, and opinion. In the professional community, we are gaining more and more recognition every day, and are viewed as an early success for a new certification. CWNP remains the only complete career certification program for WLANs.

Thanks for the inquiry. We certainly appreciate any and all feedback we can find on forums like this. It's the IT pros' feedback that keeps us on track, and continuing to improve CWNP.

Regards,
    Kevin Sandlin, CEO & Co-Founder
    Planet3 Wireless
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    Nice !

the fact alone Planet3 came on the board and presented themselfs is big to me. honestly, i plan on taking the plant3 certs and will start to study after next week for it. but like i said, i support a company that comes out and speaks to us tech's, specially the CEO. thumbs up kevin. now gimme some vouchers :)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I'll be taking my Security+ the end of this month. Assuming that I pass, I'll start immediately studying for the CWNA and CWSP together. I'll also be taking two wireless security classes at a local community college, whose syllabi will hopefully cover many of the subject domains of the Planet3 exams.

Among other duties, I install simple wireless networks (one access point), and wireless audio/video equipment. The Home Technology Integration thing is really heating up, so wireless is not a waste of time to know.
  • Options
    I'm doing one more CompTIA cert, LINUX+, and then I'll be turning my attention back to the CWNA. Thanks for the input.