Options

Having trouble with a Cisco 2502 router

borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I'm trying to setup a lab and I have a 2502 that I upgraded to 16mb RAM and 16mb flash, problem is that after the upgrade I get the Router(boot)> prompt, seems like it is trying to find a bootable image from a server or something like that. The flash is completely empty but when I tried to do a copy tftp flash command I get the ERR: Device in READ-ONLY state message. I did a Google search and didn't find much, didn't find much on a search of Cisco's site either so was wondering if anyone here might be of help. Problem with this router is it only has 2 serial interfaces and a Token Ring port so what I was thinking of doing was connecting it to the serial port on a 2620 I have and use my laptop on the 2620's ethernet port but since I can't even attempt to tftp I'm currently stuck. Any input is appreciated in advance.

Comments

• Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    borumas wrote:
    Hey guys, I'm trying to setup a lab and I have a 2502 that I upgraded to 16mb RAM and 16mb flash, problem is that after the upgrade I get the Router(boot)> prompt, seems like it is trying to find a bootable image from a server or something like that. The flash is completely empty but when I tried to do a copy tftp flash command I get the ERR: Device in READ-ONLY state message. I did a Google search and didn't find much, didn't find much on a search of Cisco's site either so was wondering if anyone here might be of help. Problem with this router is it only has 2 serial interfaces and a Token Ring port so what I was thinking of doing was connecting it to the serial port on a 2620 I have and use my laptop on the 2620's ethernet port but since I can't even attempt to tftp I'm currently stuck. Any input is appreciated in advance.

Hi,

You have to use xmodem to load the IOS to the router, something like this:
    rommon 2> xmodem -c c2500-i-l.121-24.bin

and then go to tranfer> send file and find your ios and click send, it should start transfer the ios to your router, after completed do this:
    rommon 3>dir flash:

rommon 3>confreg 0x2102

rommon 3>reset

after reset it should be fine, i haven't do this for long time but i'm sure this is the right way, also be aware it would take long time to load the ios.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    borumas wrote:

borumas,

Your Cisco IOS is located on the OLD flash module. So "downgrade" your Flash back to your old flash module, upload the IOS off of that flash to a tftp server, shut down the router, upgrade your flash, turn your router on, then download the IOS back down from the tftp server onto your new flash.

I hope this helps.