Options

Entry level certs

LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Would it be a fair statement to say that A+, NET+, MCP(210) and CCNA are entry level certs (up to 1 year experience)?

What are other entry level certs that are in high demand?

My motive is to make myself more appealing to a potential employer, so I can get some PAID experience, rather than fixing comps for friends and building them for myself.. etc etc...

All of the jobs I'm offered are either graveyard shifts or low pay (I can make more money doing data entry, than upgrading a computer in some cases) The other jobs require me to travel 50+ miles a day and I dont get paid for that travel time.... Just for the gas.. not the wear and tear on my car... And those are usually contract jobs.. I need a steady week to week job.

I spent 5 hours today converting my 2 page resume to a 1 page technical resume. Any other suggestions to helping this entry level newbie out? :D
It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Would it be a fair statement to say that A+, NET+, MCP(210) and CCNA are entry level certs (up to 1 year experience)?
    Yes.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to give advice. Your's is the situation of a lot of wannabe Techs right now. Without some experience to go with the certs, it's difficult to get anyone to give you a lot of consideration. However, I did get my first IT job because I had A+ and Network+ certs. It was the kind of job you're talking about in your post, but it was 2 months of good solid experience--contract work.

You may have to move to another town or something in order to get what
    you want. Right now I'm waiting for a call to come to work on one of those
    part-time-graveyard-shift kind of jobs. It's the best offer that is in the area where I live for an entry level, somewhat experienced Tech.

Things are a little better now though. For a while, there wasn't anything for newbies.

Keep trying.

Sure, you'll work something out, and eventually do what you want to do. Best of luck.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I'll find something soon. Like you said, I think things will be better once I get that NET+ under my belt. Eventually I may have to risk my steady 40hour a week job for some contract work, just so I can get the experience and get into this field. I'd just hate to not have a job after the contract runs out. That's what sucess is right? It cant be acheived without some kind of risk. :)
    It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.