Options

Help with Resume...

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
So, I have 7 years computer experience, about 4 years of system administration and I feel I am making about 10k less than I should be. I am young, 24. But I feel this should not be a determining factor. When I can complete all tasks assigned and from every past company I have always received excellent marks in all areas I feel I am worth more than the average joe blow. I currently work for a company, we deal with over 200 clients and who knows how many servers/workstations. More than 500+ workstations. Some bigger companies I do work for are...

Sharaton Hotels
Brown Jug, Biggest Liquor chain in my state. 18 stores.
Dairy Queen
Bunch of other Hotels
Princess Tours
Royal Celeberty Tours

Those should do for now. I maintain 4 different database platforms for our clients, our company network, databases, computers, hardware implementation, software implementation, and backup plans.

My title is Systems Administrator, though I do a ton of project management and project design work.

An example for Sharaton Hotel.

Made a proposal for customer for terminals, servers, network devices and software for their hotel management system. Then made a support contract for customer. First 30 days of support are always free with proposal. Used Viso for network layout design, .pdf format for all documentation and propositions etc.

I am the main contact for all technical questions in my company. I do all the SQL programming, networking, and project management for all customers period.

I guess I just need help on how i should lay out my resume without making it way too long because I have so many different job duties.

Comments

• Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    no one will pay 10K more if you don't mave an MCSA/MCSE to back up your experience. There are tons of IT professionals with 7 years of experience who are willing to do your job and even get paid less. What makes you stand out from the crowd?

Same with me I feel like I should be paid more. I talked to my boss about it and he said he will think about it when I get my CCNP or CCIP. Better yourself before you ask for more money
  • Options
    Getting paid more is based on a piece of paper and not hard work ethics and efficiency? How does that even make sense?

Pay a papercert because he looks good on paper, but he can bearly figure his way around a windows environment, or pay someone who fixes all your problems every time in a timely fashion...

I would assume getting a job is based on paper, but never how you get promoted.
  • Options
    If that is the case, I need to take some time off and get my papercerts going.

*fustrated*
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Your salary even at a place where you have been employed for some time is going to be driven by the market. Whatever they are paying you isn't being done out of the goodness of their heart but based on what they and you think your market value is. Having that paper increases your value on the market because it is *supposed* to be an indicator to other companies that you have a certain level of technical proficiency. If you believe you are worth 10k more than what you are making then let your employer know so they have an opportunity to work it out with you. If they don't think you are worth that on the market and you go out and get an offer for 10k more then they undervalued you and deserve to lose you. If you can't get an offer for 10k more on the market then your probably not worth 10k more. Getting certifications under your belt is a good way to increase your market value.