Options

My plan...

SHatmPVCSHatmPVC Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Net+ > MCP(70-270) > CCENT(New Cisco Cert for the ICND 1) > CWNA

think its a decent track for all around network administration?

Comments

• Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Why move onto CWNA without finishing your CCNA first?
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    It would be a start but I would think for a Windows network admin. you should finish your MCSA or MCSE, then add your CCNA if you want since it is more of a engineer path for Cisco.

Just my .02

:)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think you've got the right idea, but I would put it in this order:

Network+ >> CCNA (both exams, not just the one) >> Linux+ >> 70-620 (Vista Administration) >> MCSA/MCSE or possibly MCITP >> CWNA

The reason I listed the 70-620 instead of 70-270 is that the XP exam is being replaced by this as the desktop OS for both the MCSA/MCSE tracks as well as MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. If you're going to go so far as to spend time and money purusing a cert, it seems to make more sense going for the latest technology. (Besides, if you're using XP in the field, there's nothing that says you can't learn about it anyway.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    markieman31markieman31 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree...MCSA (at least...the MCSE is just bonus) and the CCNA
  • Options
    supergeekhandGuysupergeekhandGuy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Everyone:

I love what you all had to say here. I was wondering what most people thought of as the right path!

As a teacher, my students start with the Network+, then they get their first MCP (70-270) and work their way to MCSA. All my graduates so far have stated that 80-90% of their workload comes more from their MCSA background, while only 10-20% comes from their CCNA backgroup. Whether you work on Microsoft systems, or Linux or other, those basic concepts from MCSA seem to be practical and helpful!

I would say:

NETWORK+, MCP, MCSA, CCNA, then whatever you specifically want to do!
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Hey Everyone:

I love what you all had to say here. I was wondering what most people thought of as the right path!

As a teacher, my students start with the Network+, then they get their first MCP (70-270) and work their way to MCSA. All my graduates so far have stated that 80-90% of their workload comes more from their MCSA background, while only 10-20% comes from their CCNA backgroup. Whether you work on Microsoft systems, or Linux or other, those basic concepts from MCSA seem to be practical and helpful!

I would say:

NETWORK+, MCP, MCSA, CCNA, then whatever you specifically want to do!
    That path sounds pretty good. However, I'd advise that the students should get A+ -> N+ -> Security+ -> MSCA -> CCNA

I do not have that all yet, but that is one of my plans. I have a friend in a class that wanted to take the Linux+, but it seems that he has backed off from doing it. :)
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."