Options

Questions about current Network+ exam (2007 version)

supergeekhandGuysupergeekhandGuy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone:

I've heard some horror stories about questions recently given on Network+ exams. Here are some concepts I would love to get some input about:

(1) Remote Access and NDS
Anyone got any information?

(2) SAMBA-SMB OR NFS

(3) VLANS (crazy questions about this)

(4) UNIX/MAC QUESTIONS

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Honestly, your best bet is to concentrate on the Objectives and the TechNotes from this site. You'll see over time there are people who want to help and people who just post nonsense about the exams trying to scare those who haven't taken the exam yet.

It's a violation of the NDA to discuss the questions and truly you only need worry about the objectives. Keep in mind also CompTIA is a vendor NEUTRAL exam and while you may happen to see a lot of questions from one area of the objectives...you could easily only see 1 or none. There is no way to know and just not a good use of ones resources fretting over 'questions' someone wasn't supposed to disclose...they may not have had a single question on the topic.

Meyers and Sybex both have good texts to supplement your knowledge in the area as you review the objectives...but you'll probably find the TechNotes meet you needs nicely.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    r1tommyr1tommy Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took the test on Wednesday and failed. I was 50 points short. The test was really hard. I know a lot about networking, paid for Net+ training through Quickcert, studied the TechNotes, plus went over each objective one by one. The test was not straight forward. It seemed as if they would try to give you answers that were similar to the next. I got asked a question about Microsoft's Exchange Server . Why am I getting asked about Exchange? Is this an Email Server cert? Why am I supposed to know the file format of Exchange’s data? They only had one port related question (DNS:53) One port question, are they serious? What is going on? They did have a lot of OSI model questions, which was expected. I also was not aware of a 2007 version of the Net+ test (probably why I failed). If that is the reason why I failed, I don't think it is fair at all. I went to CompTia's website to download the latest objectives (again) and they still provide the 2005 version. So how are we supposed to pass the 2007 by studying the 2005?
  • Options
    r1tommy,

please search the forum, very recently this has been discussed. The current exam version IS N10-003, period. CompTia recently has added the year the exam was taken, but that DOESN"T change the objectives. So someone who took the exam in 2005 when the objectives were newer have the same objectives as someone taking the exam in 2007...still N10-003.

Keep in mind, these exams are vendor Neutral. Perhaps they are using more specific wording to test the candidate on how well they read the question (i.e. paying attention to the simple problem, but not getting distracted by the details??).

CompTIA offer some of the fairest most straight forward exams. Perhaps take a small break and prep again? Lots of people do fail exams...try not to let it get you down, just sign up and do it again.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    r1tommy wrote:
    I just took the test on Wednesday and failed. I was 50 points short. The test was really hard. I know a lot about networking, paid for Net+ training through Quickcert, studied the TechNotes, plus went over each objective one by one. The test was not straight forward. It seemed as if they would try to give you answers that were similar to the next. I got asked a question about Microsoft's Exchange Server . Why am I getting asked about Exchange? Is this an Email Server cert? Why am I supposed to know the file format of Exchange’s data? They only had one port related question (DNS:53) One port question, are they serious? What is going on? They did have a lot of OSI model questions, which was expected. I also was not aware of a 2007 version of the Net+ test (probably why I failed). If that is the reason why I failed, I don't think it is fair at all. I went to CompTia's website to download the latest objectives (again) and they still provide the 2005 version. So how are we supposed to pass the 2007 by studying the 2005?

The reason you were being asked Microsoft's Exchange Server questions is because Microsoft's Exchange Server uses entirely new X.400-based client-server mail system with a single database store that also supported X.500 directory services. The directory used by Exchange Server eventually became Microsoft's Active Directory service, an LDAP-compliant directory server. Active Directory was integrated into Windows 2000 as the foundation of Windows Server domains. x.500 and LDAP are corner stones in networking. Plus,Microsoft's Exchange Server has software to interoperate with cc:Mail, Lotus Notes and Novell GroupWise.
    These are things a Network Plus Tech needs to know.

Thats my guess
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    HemisFearHemisFear Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    r1tommy wrote:

I can relate. I've been in this business for almost 8 years now and understand networking pretty well. I was shocked and felt unprepared when I began to take this exam. I actually studied but not very hard compared to when I took my MCSE exams and am only taking these exams as a prep to begin getting my CCNA and updating my Microsoft certs. I was SHOCKED when I saw my 508 score based on the exams. The bottom line is, you have to take this exam seriously because they tossed at LEAST 15 questions my way relating to Novell, Unix, Mac's that I simply don't work with and blew off during my studies.

I have taken the exams on this site and pass them with my eyes closed, folks, DON'T let this exam fool you. Even though the passing score is quite low, you'll be astounded by the questions that they ask in regards to things other than general networking.

Overall, I have to say that I defeated myself. I wasn't asked questions on items that weren't in the book or covered by CompTIA's topics, I simply didn't take them seriously and when I was challenged with them, I blew it.

I've taken well over two dozen exams in my professional life and even though I blew through the A+, passed my MCSE in NT and 2000 I have had problems with my CCNA in the past and now Network+. You win some, you lose some, but I now have a very stiff reminder that when it comes to taking exams, GIVE YOURSELF THE BEST CHANCE TO PASS BY TAKING THE EXAM SERIOUSLY.

I half a$$'d this one and I'm now embarrassed that this entry level exam kicked my butt!
    ---===The darkest hour is just before the dawn of day===---
  • Options
    Hello Everyone:

I have seen and read various opinions about the Network+ exam; but I have to say that many of the questions raised on the test are a little off the beaten path. I do not mind scenario questions, based on subject matters we have covered and studied; but when you ask an off the wall question, I have to wonder what's going on here!? When 5-10 year professionals, who have studied, fail the test; then something needs to be discussed!!!!

I wonder why they say it's unfair to discuss questions, when there are hundreds of websites that give us sample quizzes, sample tests, etc..., all with possible Network+ questions. I think someone has read something wrong, or the whole world is basically CHEATING (LOL).

I just wish there were more intensive study materials; especially in regards to the situational type scenario questions you can get. It doesn't seem that Meyers and/or Sybex covers those types of questions well!

supergeekhandGuy
  • Options
    I agree. MY Syngress book covers the History of Novell and and some of the things needed to know about the exam but it does not cover everything I think you will be asked on the Network Plus certification test. My Syngress book skims over Mac OS X and has limited about of Unix/Linux material. To compensate for this lack of information I have had to really to turn to other Certification books like Novell CNA for 6.0/6.5 and The Linux 2007 Bible and pick what information I "THINK" may be asked on the tests.
    Since we cannot ask people who have already taken the test about the questions they had on the test as they relate to Novell,Linux,Unix,Mac OS server, then it makes it that much harder for those of us who have not taken the test to know what to look for in other materials to get the answers we need. This is alot of time wasted.
    I spent 3 hours yesterday reading a CNE 6.0/6.5 certification book at Barns and Noble and makeing notes on what may or may not even be on the test. Its frustrating becaue I think "Network Plus books" should be covering this material in depth if there are possisablity 20 or more questions on the test that pertain to Unix/Linux,Novell,Mac OS X server.

My strategy has been to study things that are common in my Network Plus Material and master them so if I miss any Unix,Linux,Mac OS X,Novell questions it will get me over the hump.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    Since we cannot ask people who have already taken the test about the questions they had on the test as they relate to Novell,Linux,Unix,Mac OS server, then it makes it that much harder for those of us who have not taken the test to know what to look for in other materials to get the answers we need. This is alot of time wasted.

Why does it make it any more difficult for you then it was myself or the thousands of others who took the exam by the objectives alone or just took the exam?

I'm a bit at a loss with comments such as yours and the various ones in the A+ forum about the effort required to become proficient at ones chosen career. Some things will come easy, but most things require work, practice, reading, discussion, brainstorming with peers, mistakes, correcting mistakes, continual effort.

The CompTIA exams are the most straight forward exams on the market. These are vendor neutral and cannot possibly cover all aspects of a given area....they are typically GENERAL questions. Any study that one does that makes helps them better understand the whole process of Networks and any aspects/parts/components of the Network should be a blessing...not a curse. If it's not fun, then perhaps there is another career path to explore? There isn't a single thing out there that will not require some level of commitment and work on the candidate's part....And in IT if you chose to not stay current...no problem, because there's some kid coming out of junior high who has her/his eye on your job.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've got a couple of thoughts on this line of questions. One, people asking about the "2007 Vs. 2005 Network+ Exam", there really is not much of a difference. You're getting scared up by people talking about it, by people telling horror-stories about being asked questions about a newer piece of software or hardware than was listed in their exam-prep book. Just relax, spend the time reading and doing your hands-on work, and you'll be fine. Most importantly, check out those objectives on CompTIA's website, first and foremost.

Secondly, as HemisFear mentioned, take the exam seriously. Just because you've been a network engineer for x number of years, doesn't automatically translate to a passing score. Have you been using every network device tested on, do you work with every type of operating system and network technology, does your job encompass every possible aspect of the networking world, so that you've had personal experience with every single thing that the field of networking considers its own? Probably not. Chances are, just like with any other certification test, you've only had experience with a fraction of it. One example is that many Network+ candidates have never really used the OSI model before studying for the exam. Some people work exclusively with switches, never doing any kind of routing, others work solely on Windows systems, and never do any kind of network configuration on a Mac or Unix/Linux. Remember, your job consists of a certain number of things, a certification tests all the areas that the vendor deems pertinent. Take the exam seriously, study for everything, and don't count on coasting on your previous knowledge.

The last couple of things I have to say are a bit more general. The first thing is this: you have to be prepared to take the test on your own. Trying to form a crutch out of asking questions about the tests of people who've already taken the exam is the kind of groupthinking that led to the advent of **** in the first place. Asking questions about the technologies, clarifying wording in a book, or asking about how something is configured is fine. Asking about the operational procedures in a test is fine, (i.e. "Where do I sign up for the exams?", "How much do they cost?") However, drilling into the specific topics and wanting to know if this, that, or the other thing is going to be on the test is a bit too much. You begin to rely on the people that already passed their exam, sometimes to the point of demanding the information, which leads to a strange, righteous feeling of "I have a right to know", which leads to. . . well. . . reading ****; (especially when you come away from a failed test, feeling frustrated and feeling like it's the vendors fault).

So, the cure for this is simple. Study, like the rest of us did. Check out the exam topics, use them as your guideline. The study guides aren't perfect, and they were written by people who think they know everything about the exams, not by the people who created the exams. Use multiple study-guides, and make sure you get hands-on experience with as much as you can. When you're ready, you'll take the test, and you'll have the knowledge and experience to be seeing that big "Congratulations. . . " message after you hit the "Finish" button. And why is <insert name of product or technology here> on the test? Because CompTIA thinks you need to know about it to be a Network+ candidate, plain and simple.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Plantwiz; Your recent post has me a little confused! You say "I'm a bit at a loss with comments such as yours ...about the effort required to become proficient at ones chosen career. Some things will come easy, but most things require work...."

You must understand that these are professionals writing these posts! Of course we understand that there is some effort required to become proficient! I'm not sure why you wrote this???

I don't think you are getting what we are saying! The materials used to study for the Network+ Exam are not covering the topics in as much detail as they should. You said "The CompTIA exams are the most straight forward exams on the market. These are vendor neutral and cannot possibly cover all aspects of a given area....they are typically GENERAL questions." I get what you are saying, but what is the point of creating a Network+ study guide book that doesn't properly prepare for the Network+ exam as well as it should!

I'm a big CompTIA and Microsoft fan! I am trying to raise legitimate concerns; I am not trying to moan and cry. I am a teacher, and I want to help prepare my students for the Network+; but the recent test takers have had some legitimate complaints about the complexity of the exam. I have had 6/8 students pass the exam this year, which I feel is great; but they have truly had some challenging questions that were not covered well by all Network+ study materials. I guess any helpful suggestions would be great (see below for more specifics)

supergeekhandGuy

What are some good resources for Novell NetWare and Unix materials that might be on the Network+? See these objectives? What are good materials to help people prepare for these big dogs!?

3.1 Identify the basic capabilities (For example: client support, interoperability, authentication, file and print services, application support and security) of the following server operating systems to access network resources: UNIX / Linux / Mac OS X Server, Netware, Windows, Appleshare IP (Internet Protocol).

3.4 Given a remote connectivity scenario comprised of a protocol, an authentication scheme, and physical connectivity, configure the connection. includes connection to the following servers: UNIX / Linux / MAC OS X Server, Netware, Windows, Appleshare IP (Internet Protocol).

4.5 Given a troubleshooting scenario between a client and the following server environments, identify the cause of a stated problem:
    • UNIX / Linux / Mac OS X Server
    • Netware
    • Windows
    • Appleshare IP (Internet Protocol)
  • Options
    bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the Network + test on June 11th. While I passed it (score 641), I didn't feel the test was very straightforward. There were not a lot of questions on topics a typical person would study for, and a disproportionate number of questions on obscure (not necessarily difficult) topics.

I'm not trying to scare people into not taking the test. I say go for it!!! Remember that a lot of people can and do pass it!!! But don't let the low passing score fool you into thinking its easy
    test. When you study, make sure you cover all your bases
  • Options
    I don't think you are getting what we are saying! The materials used to study for the Network+ Exam are not covering the topics in as much detail as they should. You said "The CompTIA exams are the most straight forward exams on the market. These are vendor neutral and cannot possibly cover all aspects of a given area....they are typically GENERAL questions." I get what you are saying, but what is the point of creating a Network+ study guide book that doesn't properly prepare for the Network+ exam as well as it should!

We'll just need to agree to disagree, because there is little point to arguing over this. You are not understanding my comments either.

The exams are geared toward candidates WITH experience. Experience can vary from a candidate having done a variety of tasks over say a 1 year period, or doing the same task over-and-over during that same 1 year period. At the end of the year, both will claim 1 year of experience, but that won't necessarily make each an equal candidate ready to take an exam.

The objectives are the best place to begin.
    The TechNotes on this site are outstanding.
    Meyers and Sybex put out some of the best materials available.
    Experience and time...best teachers.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Plantwiz; Your recent post has me a little confused! You say "I'm a bit at a loss with comments such as yours ...about the effort required to become proficient at ones chosen career. Some things will come easy, but most things require work...."

You must understand that these are professionals writing these posts! Of course we understand that there is some effort required to become proficient! I'm not sure why you wrote this???
    I'm a little confused myself, but not with Plantwiz. She was responding to a comment by mgmguy1 who stated that:
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    So the part that confuses me is "Why is it harder" and what is "time wasted"? CompTIA has posted the objectives. They do not ask questions outside of those objectives. If a book you have from 2002 doesn't cover technology that wasn't in existence at the time, get a newer book, search the web, or whatever. It's called research and study - not "wasted time" (mgmguy1's words not yours). The Net+ objectives are about 15 pages of documentation. Don't trust that a single book - Sybex, Exam Cram, Syngress, or whatever, will absolutely cover everything you might get on the exam. None of those books claim to anyway. People that complain about getting questions on Novell, Mac and Unix need to see domain 2.4. Guess what else? IPv6 is fair game - domain 2.5 on the objectives. How about 2.13 that covers NFS, Apple File Protocol, and SAMBA? I've heard people complain about these questions in one breath, and then in the next complain about Microsoft based questions because it's supposed to be vendor-neutral! Domain 3 and 4 contain several references to UNIX, Linux, Mac OS X Server, Netware, Windows and Appleshare IP (Internet Protocol). Better expect some questions on that.

I think (my opinion only) the real problem is that some people memorize the OSI model, cable lengths/types/connections, and port numbers and think they are good to go. Let me remind those who have forgotton that in the OBJECTIVES it states:
    the successful candidates knows the layers of the OSI model, can describe the features and functions of network components and has the skills needed to install, configure, and troubleshoot basic networking hardware peripherals and protocols. A typical candidate should have CompTIA A+ certification or equivalent knowledge, though A+ certification is not required. In addition to A+ certification level knowledge, candidates are encouraged to have at least nine months of work experience in network support or administration.
    (snip)
    There remains continued emphasis on hands-on experience knowledge needed in the areas of network implementation and network support including troubleshooting scenarios.
    So they recommend already having the A+ and at least 9 months experience.
    I don't think you are getting what we are saying! The materials used to study for the Network+ Exam are not covering the topics in as much detail as they should.
    I get what you are saying, but what is the point of creating a Network+ study guide book that doesn't properly prepare for the Network+ exam as well as it should!
    but they have truly had some challenging questions that were not covered well by all Network+ study materials.
    That is not CompTIA's fault. Write to the book's author or the editor. Use multiple sources. No book is perfect.
    This is why you should study from the objectives as your primary source. Plantwiz has stated this time and again and some are critical about that answer - but it is the best answer. Go through the objectives as an outlie and if your book leaves something out or just glosses over a topic - do your own research or get a book that does cover it. If you have field experience and are comfortable with the topic then that's fine too.

Many many many people pass this exam, so it can't be as big of a problem as a few are making it out to be. You state yourself that 6/8 students passed. That's a 75% pass rate - which is not bad.
    What are some good resources for Novell NetWare and Unix materials that might be on the Network+? See these objectives? What are good materials to help people prepare for these big dogs!?

Well, see my first post in this thread for starters. The Tech Notes on this site have a lot of that information. Otherwise, you might try the Linux+ notes for areas that map to the Net+ Unix/Linux sections.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hi.

All the questions i got in the exam were covered in the CompTIA's objectives, the only one until now i haven't found any answer is about Remote PC/Mobile PC access to NDS, not in the CompTIA's objectives, sybex book, technotes from this site, or google, i can't find any info about it, i hope some day any with novell experience talks about this.

I'm not scaring anybody, if you take the time to study, you'll pass the test but the questions are a lot different and trickies that any transcender or preplogic test i took before the exam.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    elegua wrote:
    All the questions i got in the exam were covered in the CompTIA's objectives, the only one until now i haven't found any answer is about Remote PC/Mobile PC access to NDS, not in the CompTIA's objectives,:

3.4 Given a remote connectivity scenario comprised of a protocol, an authentication scheme, and physical
    connectivity, configure the connection. Includes connection to the following servers:
    • UNIX / Linux / MAC OS X Server
    Netware
    • Windows
    • Appleshare IP (Internet Protocol)
  • Options
    Thanks Plantwiz and sprkymrk! It's so helpful to have a forum like this to bounce things off of people. This also seems to be one of the most interactive and insightful forums I have been too!

[webmaster: removed off-topic question, see link pages or topsites]

I guess I can't blame CompTIA for having a 'Vendor Neutral' exam cover so many different categories. I keep seeking a nice big single-source study guide, but from what I gather from you two, that doesn't seem to be available at this time; we need various sources of materials to help prepare, and we need people with experience in the field. Forgive me for laughing about the experience thing a little because its often the people with experience that have come back complaining about the Network+ exam (LOL).

On a serious note; I appreciate the input and I will do my best to continue to gather various material sources to help my students pass the Network+. You are right; 6/8 students is a good percentage, and I am certainly happy with that for my students; but as a passionate instructor, I am merely seeking ways to raise the bar and reach for greater success; not for my own sake, but for theirs! I've been slowly creating my own personal study guide for the Network+ test, gathering notes and ideas from various sources. Its a slow proces; but its coming along pretty well.

I'll post again later! I have 8 more students taking the Network+ sometime in September, so lets see how they do!

supergeekhandGuy
  • Options
    Best of luck to you. A good teacher is worth his/her weight in tech books. icon_lol.gif

Also it appears that I need to work on my math skills - 6\8 is 80%, not 75% as I previously quoted. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually, You had it write the first time, 6/8 = 75%.

Mabey I should of stuck with math in college...
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • Options
    Doh! You're right! icon_lol.gif
    So now you know not to ask me to make change for that dollar...
  • Options
    I guess I'm glad you are not grading the Network+ exams (LOL)
  • Options
    I guess I'm glad you are not grading the Network+ exams (LOL)
    Hey, I might have given you +5% based on my track record. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Best of Luck Supergeekhandguy!

Not sure what your educational background is (and not looking to knock you ;) ), but guessing you've had your share of university level courses....which did you get the most from? The ones where the Prof read their notes or read from the course text? Or the ones who lectured from outside the text and when you studied from your notes and the text....things came together?

For me it was the instructors who were the most prepared in the class where I enjoyed the discussion and coursework. When the instructor works hard (or smartly) the students follow the lead.

So yes, gather more info, visit MFG sites, get whitepages, prepare above and beyond and encourage your students to do the same.

Best wishes!
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    sprkymrk wrote:

"Why is it harder" and what is "time wasted"? CompTIA has posted the objectives. They do not ask questions outside of those objectives. If a book you have from 2002 doesn't cover technology that wasn't in existence at the time, get a newer book, search the web, or whatever. It's called research and study - not "wasted time" (mgmguy1's words not yours). The Net+ objectives are about 15 pages of documentation. Don't trust that a single book - Sybex, Exam Cram, Syngress, or whatever, will absolutely cover everything you might get on the exam. None of those books claim to anyway. People that complain about getting questions on Novell, Mac and Unix need to see domain 2.4. Guess what else? IPv6 is fair game - domain 2.5 on the objectives. How about 2.13 that covers NFS, Apple File Protocol, and SAMBA? I've heard people complain about these questions in one breath, and then in the next complain about Microsoft based questions because it's supposed to be vendor-neutral! Domain 3 and 4 contain several references to UNIX, Linux, Mac OS X Server, Netware, Windows and Appleshare IP (Internet Protocol). Better expect some questions on that.

Sprkymrk, I hear what you are saying but, I have two Network Plus Books from Exam N10-003 two Network Plus Books from N10-002, 3 Studyguides and N10-002 CBT Nugget Network Plus Cd.
    I get frustrated by the fact that these materials as they relate to Unix,Linux,Mac OS server do not go into alot a detail on connectivity scenarios and troubleshooting scenarios. This is material I want to learn not just memorize them. As far as my time wasted comment:
    We all have to manage our time once we get out of work or whatever our life commiment is?
    I want two be able to know that my Network Plus Book covers "everything" I need to pass. I do not mind research as long as I am not spending "hours" trying to find the information I need when I could have been useing that time to re-cover the the Network Plus Material that is well documented. $203 bucks is alot of money for a Voucher.

In closeing I know Comptia's test are strightforward. I do not blame Comptia for what's in the book. The publishers need to get there act togetother and create material that covers all the bases. And if you can't put it into one book then make two books and sell it as a kit, but they need to make sure it has all the material in it to pass!

Fats Domino
  • Options
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    ...snip...
    I get frustrated by the fact that these materials as they relate to Unix,Linux,Mac OS server do not go into alot a detail on connectivity scenarios and troubleshooting scenarios. This is material I want to learn not just memorize them.

Since you've identified WHAT you are looking for, why not obtain those materials? If you truly want to learn it then set it up in your lab and work it. Get books or websites that are geared toward those areas...I can think of several books on those topics that go into GREAT DEPTH. The point you are missing is that the NET+ isn't going get in depth on those areas because it is a vendor neutral exam...vendor specific exams will require you understand the material much more throughly.

mgmguy1 wrote:
    As far as my time wasted comment:
    We all have to manage our time once we get out of work or whatever our life commiment is?
    I want two be able to know that my Network Plus Book covers "everything" I need to pass.

No book covers 'everything'. Not even in college will a text cover 'everything' It is the student's responsibility to research further in areas where they have questions or interests...not up to one publisher. The objectives tell you what you need to know to pass....not the book. The books breakdown the material in an effort to assist the candidate in their review.
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    I do not mind research as long as I am not spending "hours" trying to find the information I need when I could have been useing that time to re-cover the the Network Plus Material that is well documented. $203 bucks is alot of money for a Voucher.

Well, well, well there is the problem! Research is something that takes time. Once in a while you may get lucky and uncover an answer quickly, but only an answer...nothing real indepth. So basically, study and research is ok for you so long as it doesn't interfer with 'life'? Heck I and everyone else would like that too! Just not how things work. Poll the members here, I'll bet (if I were someone who bet ;) ) you'll see anyone who has had a long career in IT and anyone of the newer folks in IT who are making a name for themselves spend hours above and beyond their 'work-day' learning new technologies. Same applies to these entry-level certs...if it's too much work now...what happens when you convince someone you should run their network? If the server crashes and the backup fails and accounting needs their files and sales need their files to quote customers....you cannot go home. You'll need to know how to handle this and if you cannot, you will need to know how to research it quickly....or call for outside help. If you call for outside help too often...you won't have a job.

Frankly if you are concerned about investing in your career a mere $200 dollars...don't take the exam. It's your career, and NO ONE NEEDS to have IT certifications to be employable. If you find value in them, then you invest the time and money to pursue it. Otherwise, don't sweat it.
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    In closeing I know Comptia's test are strightforward. I do not blame Comptia for what's in the book. The publishers need to get there act togetother and create material that covers all the bases. And if you can't put it into one book then make two books and sell it as a kit, but they need to make sure it has all the material in it to pass!

That's your job as a student and test applicant. And if you feel you can produce a better book, go for it! Books like Meyer's and Sybex have TEAMS of people working on them, they have to be turned out timely and printed....and people still complain about the size, the price, the content, etc... Books are mere tools. The user of the tool needs to know what to do with it once in hand. Perhaps you are forcing yourself to take an exam you are not ready to take? There isn't a rush, some just need more time.

A+ and NET+ are some of the easiest exams you will see if you chose to continue in IT. Thousands walk in and pass them without issue each year.....and walk out raving about the books being pivotal in their review process.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote "Not sure what your educational background is (and not looking to knock you ), but guessing you've had your share of university level courses....which did you get the most from? The ones where the Prof read their notes or read from the course text? Or the ones who lectured from outside the text and when you studied from your notes and the text....things came together?"

I'm a teacher at a Technical College (where you do hands on training and certification preparation). I have students from both the 2-year system and 4-year college systems come to take my classes, and I currently have a 80%+ pass rate for my students taking CompTIA and a 80%+ pass rating for my Microsoft students. I have worked extremely hard for '4' years gathering materials, notes, ideas, and more.......and I've written my own study guide books. I host free Boot-Camps at my college (I do not charge) for students (must be students) from surrounding colleges to come and study for the test, and I spend hours helping them train for train for it. I write all of this Plantwiz so you can understand that these posts are coming from someone, not academically minded, but truly expereinced and knowledgable in the field. With that said - I have to agree with the numerous users posting comments about their disappointment in training materials coming from specific publishers. Dont' get me wrong; I completely understand what someone said when they stated "No book covers 'everything'. Not even in college will a text cover 'everything' It is the student's responsibility to research further in areas where they have questions or interests...not up to one publisher."

But I would like to emphasize (AGAIN) that we are simply saying that we would love to receive links and helpful tips as to where to acquire these extra study materials.

You can't just say "The objectives tell you what you need to know to pass....not the book. The books breakdown the material in an effort to assist the candidate in their review. " That's wonderful - but I think everyone on the planet gets that (LOL). Where are the books that help you prepare for these tough troubleshooting scenarios. One of you quoted "That's your job as a student and test applicant. And if you feel you can produce a better book, go for it! Books like Meyer's and Sybex have TEAMS of people working on them, they have to be turned out timely and printed....and people still complain about the size, the price, the content, etc... Books are mere tools. The user of the tool needs to know what to do with it once in hand. Perhaps you are forcing yourself to take an exam you are not ready to take? There isn't a rush, some just need more time." I'm reading posts from 10+ year professionals, who have purchased numerous books, who are constantly telling you that the questions and challenges on the exam are tough (even for them).

I think maybe we all are not being clear and we sound like we are COMPLAINING. I assure you - I love CompTIA, Microsoft and Cisco and like the way the tests are designed to be challenging, and I love that they require experience mixed with knowledge; but I'm disappointed in publishers who have not really produced a quality training guide for many of the principles on the exam (such as troubleshooting scenarios). I've had to work hard to develop my own training guides and expereinces for my students, which has worked well for my kids - but I"m wondering how incredibly tough it must be on others who do not have that support system!

ALWAYS TRYING TO HELP
    SUPERGEEKHANDGUY!
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    What did you use you prepare for the exam?
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    ExodiaExodia Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just wrote the exam about 1hour ago and managed to pass with a 599.I only studied from the SYBEX NETWORK+,and went through the technotes here.There were sum weird questions on the MAC OS X10.3 which i didnt bother studying for,so i really cant remember what they were about icon_lol.gif ,but all in all the exam is passable.Know all the ports,FTP,HTTPS and so on.Know the OSI Model inside out,what devices and protocols operate where.Know interoperabilty between NOvell and Windows.These are just sum of the stuff that came out.
  • Options
    "What did you use you prepare for the exam?"

I tell you what....that's been a big tough decision; what book or study guides will or might help. I love Mike Meyers stuff, but alas, I still have not found a publisher that has opened up and tried to hit on the major troubleshooting scenarios you find on the CompTIA Network+.

I love Exam-Cram, Mike Meyers, Sybex was okay; and of course Tech Notes was good. The truth is, I would suggest sign up for a certification course at one of your local tech colleges.....that is where the real learning happens (LOL).

supergeekhandGuy