Options

A+ certified...now what?

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
Okay so here's a little background. I'm going to Heald College studying for a degree in IT Network Security and I just got my A+ last week. Now this may be too broad of a question but what kinds of jobs should I be looking for? I currently work a desk job which has nothing to do with what I'm studying and I have a part-timer disconnecting and reconnecting computers and servers. Now I'm looking to get some sort of experience that somehow relates to my degree I'm trying to get so what kind of jobs should I be trying to look for and apply to?

Also does anyone know any sites to use? I'm looking on craigslist, monster, and dice right now.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    First of all, congrats on your A+! :D Is that your first certificate?

Second, wise choice of study in college. My Cisco security teacher told my class that network security is a huge field to get in right now, and employers are scrambling to fill spots with people with security knowledge and experience.

Basically, anything related to "general IT" is a good starting point. Look especially for internships or jobs in law enforcement. Many precincts and law enforcement bodies across the world are starting to realize the danger that cyber crime creates. However, anything having to do (at least in part) with managing a network will inevitably introduce you to hands-on experience dealing with network security. This typically includes jobs related to the field of "computer technician". In a smaller company or school, computer techs (like myself icon_wink.gif ) typically deal with everything IT related in their job, including desktop repair (which could include disinfecting a virus), network management/installation, etc.

I personally found careerbuilder.com, jobkabob.com, and monster.com to be flops. Career Builder constantly spammed my email inbox with useless "job matches" that were often not related to my search criteria. Monster didn't seem to have a very good selection in IT jobs, at least in my area and experience range. Job Kabob was just worthless. You can't even search for jobs yourself: your have to rely on them to find matches for you (just like the pot-heads at eharmony.com). If your college campus hosts a job board, use that. That is how I found my current job. Teachers, faculty, and inter-campus jobs are also great sources for employment.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Career Builder is a crock.

Good job on your A+....

Now go get your Network+ :D
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N+, then MCSA... MCSE... CCNA... CCNP.... and than none stop on re-cert every three yrs.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Get certified in the more desirable certs (Comptia certs don't open doors, at least not anywhere I've been looking) like CCNP, MCSA(E) and round it off with some Linux. In my research that seems to be the way to go, Then add on to those with security specializations from Microsoft, Cisco and Symantec.

Community colleges (at least here) have 6 month programs to get your MCSA and CCNPs, so it is not unreasonable to have them both in just over a year. Just going a couple night a week in the evenings. This assumes you Heald isn't already covering them.

As for the job market? Without those cert or the experience, I don't see any doors opening anytime soon.

If you don't mind me asking, what certs have been Heald prepping you for?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    congrats on the pass!!!!

Now be prepared to work entry-level helpdesk for the next 2 years, i hate the IT field
    i herd u leik mudkips lol