Options

does it help to study Linux+ & server+ for retake

RythmRythm Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
As I mentioned yesterday, when I failed the test it didn't bother me so much that I failed (atleast I failed with a 494 & not a point shy at 553, cos that would have FRUSTRATED me...), but what i was thrown of by is the questions dealing with scenarios based on unix/novell/MAC OS X type of things. Honestly, I know where my weaknesses are and without bragging I can say that I'm a quick learner and atleast well informed on most of the material on the Net+ exam, but I don't think these quetions recieved that much importance from study materials.

I came to the test armed "teeth and nails" and ready to be assualted with protocols, cable grade & types, ports, network devices, topologies, etc..., but didn't think I'll need to go too deep with "non-Windows based" materials (yeah shoot me for presuming). Matter of fact, as soon as I sat down the first thing I did was write down all the ports, protocols, and, facts & hints that could come into my mind on the washable paper that they gave me. The reason I presumed that I wouldn't need to know these other things is that from the material I studied/reviewed, I took it that they just want you to know the facts, general highlights and history of the various OS systems, not what to do in a given situation.

My question is this. If you're in my situation and know mostly Microsoft based OS and faintly on anything else, would studying Linux+, Server+, DNS and even WINS and MS 2000/2003 material help to make up for the lack of indepth knowledge and experience that some the on the exam might need you to. Feel free to gave your thoughts and advice

Comments

• Options
    bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed Network+ with a 641, but I have not taken either the Linux+ or Server + tests.

The topics you mentioned aren't that difficult to pick up - you just weren't ready for them. Now that you know, you should be in good shape. I found the test quite different from Transcenders and Measure Up. Also, go to www.cramsession.com and download their study guide. I think its pretty all inclusive - the Exam Cram book is good too. Looking back, for me this helped more helpful than Transcenders at least for the Network+ test.

In my opinion, it would be best to retake the Network+ while its still fresh in your mind. Also, you missed by about 60 points. Maybe 4-5 questions? Not sure.

I was also thrown off and unprepared for some of the questions as have others.

I hope this helps, and best of luck in your test.

I am now studying for the CCNA test#1 640-821.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Rythm,

Let me start off by saying Network+ is actually a very hard test if you really think about what you are supopsed to know vs. what you can just memorize. I know quite a few people who are passing their MCPs and CCNX's but can't pass Network+. Most likely what is throwing you is not concepts but the random trivia you need to know from a variety of esoteric operating systems and their commands.

What study materials are you using to prep? Personally, I found that the Network+ books I worked with didn't cover everything fully. Quite frankly a 888 page book can't! There is just too much on the test.

So actually I read through for Dummies books on NT4, 2000, Xp, 2000 server, 2003 server, Novell, OSX/9, CCNA and Linux (these outdated books were SOO cheap on ebay for $2-$5 and available at my library!). I didn't study too deeply but just enough to configure file servers, print server, user account/groups and created simple domains and workgroups for all these servers/clients. Also I found dial up connections and dial up servers on each of these OS to be imporant when running through pre-tests. Basically I have about 8 hours of hands on time and 4 hours of reading the dummies books for each platform.

Then I would go back to my Network+ book, Network+ 2005 In Depth and read what they wanted me (aka, most of what I needed to know for the test) to know about that operating system and sorta review from there.

I also spent some time flipping through 3 or 4 other Network+ books down at Boarders and found other commands and projects that I hadn't run, I did that for a couple weekends just round off my third party OS knowledge.

I jumped on ebay and bought some PCI 10base2/5 cards (real cheap) and cables as well as some fiber optic cables just so I knew how each one connected and felt. So I could look at a cable and name it and give it's specifications on site.

Studying the other Pluses (Linux+/Server+) won't be help as you are going to get hit with a lot of new trivia. Focus on hands on, they really don't expect you to know the feature differances between dial up networking in OSX and NT4 server, but they do expect you to be able to configure it given a few options. And once you have done it couple times, you'll remember.

I hope that helps,
    (wow that is the longest post I have ever put on this forum, w007!)
    -Daniel
  • Options
    viruscvirusc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    from your past experience you must of just got a bad batch of questions (my opinion anyway). I would study the CCNA and net+ at the same time let the material sink in a little more then retake. Playing around with a Mac or Novell is a waste of time as you will not use it but playing around with linux would be helpful.