have aq question how do i translate an internal domain to an external example:

company.corp
to
company.com
If you stop getting better, you cease being good

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The internal domain is hosted on internal DNS servers. The external domain is hosted on external (internet) DNS servers.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    do i have to go to the isp? i already have a domain mydomain.com and i have mydomain.home
    so let said my e-mail address is user@mydomain.com where or how do i set up the translation
    from .com to .home
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Could you explain what you mean by "translate"?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    well my question is do i have to put any entry on my DC or the isp is gonna redirect from .com to .home? or the external dns is just gonna look up my ip address im kind of getting confuse

can some one xplain it to me? internal dns to external dns

example.corp to example.com

or like www.company.corp in
    and www.company.com outside
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's a few things people do in regards to dns.

1. They use split-dns and use doman.com on the inside and domain.com on the outside. Internally, DNS is hosted on Domain Controllers and externally, it is being hosted by a Windows DNS standalone server, BIND server, etc... Both sides do not know of each other. So in this scenario, you cannot do a zone transfer from your internal domain.com infrastructure to your external infrastructure. If you want any dns records to be mimic'd, you'll have to create the record manually on the other side.

2. Another method is to use an internal dns name of domain.local and have your external facing dns to be your domain.com. This is personally my least favorite setup. There are some issues with .local that you may face in the future such as certificates not liking .local.

3. The other method is for your external facing dns to use your second level domain (could also be a child.domain.com) such as domain.com and have your internal AD dns to be something like staff.domain.com.

For both 2 and 3, you can get both your internal dns to talk to your external dns easily. On your internal dns, you can set it to allow zone transfers to your internal dns servers. You can then create a secondary zone on your internal AD DNS servers so your internal systems have knowledge of your external (dmz) servers sitting in your dmz. I would NOT do this vice versa and create a secondary zone on your external dns servers hosting a copy of your AD DNS unless you want people in the internet to see all your SRV records and all your private internal dns information.

Of course instead of zone transfers and secondary zones, you can always do a forwarder or a stub zone from your internal dns servers to your external dns servers and vice versa. This way both sides can resolve each other (if you want this setup of course). You can set it up so your internal dns infrastructure can resolve your external dns infrastructure but not vice versa, etc.... As you can see, there's several different setups you can do.

In a lot of cases in real world, even if you were to do something like staff.domain.com on the inside and domain.com on the inside, you'll still end up having a secondary zone on the inside with domain.com and you'll probably still have a manually created staff.domain.com on the outside with a few manually created records. This is because applications such as Exchange, ISA, etc. will sometimes require you to be able to ping the same name from the inside of the network and the outside.

You can of course have a service provider online also host your external dns instead of having your own external facing dns servers in your dmz.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    oh man thanks that does help alot u clear mu doubts now aleast i have an idea of wut to do in this situation....thanks