Symantec Anti Virus - Windows clients and MAC's

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Anyone got any experience with intergrating Windows and MAC's in the same administration centre. I mean the ability to update with liveupdate and view the MAC's on the admin symantec mmc snap in.

Cheers,
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

  • taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    i am not sure if there' any alternative solution. however, officially, i don believe it supports MAC scanning under Windows.

    http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/sysreq.jsp?pcid=1322&pvid=805_1

    It slightly mentions there.

    If anybody got anything that is able to support MAC, let me know. I am interested.

    i m just curious, how do you come up this idea?

    thanks
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

    -Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as I can tell, you would need a server for the Windows clients and a server for the Mac clients. Additionally, the console is different for each version, so you can't even create a server group with 2 servers (1 for Windows and 1 for Macs) as you would not be able to access them from the same console. Looks like the Mac version has a web GUI console that can be accessed by any computer running a supported Web browser including: Mac OS X + Safari 1.2.x, Windows XP Pro + Internet Explorer 6 SP2, and RedHat Linux + Netscape 7. So you could at least use a single XP/2K workstation to access both the Mac and Windows servers, just using different consoles.

    So it looks to me like you cannot manage both OSes from a single interface unfortunately. You would only see either the Windows clients or the Mac clients, but not both.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    As far as I can tell, you would need a server for the Windows clients and a server for the Mac clients. Additionally, the console is different for each version, so you can't even create a server group with 2 servers (1 for Windows and 1 for Macs) as you would not be able to access them from the same console. Looks like the Mac version has a web GUI console that can be accessed by any computer running a supported Web browser including: Mac OS X + Safari 1.2.x, Windows XP Pro + Internet Explorer 6 SP2, and RedHat Linux + Netscape 7. So you could at least use a single XP/2K workstation to access both the Mac and Windows servers, just using different consoles.

    So it looks to me like you cannot manage both OSes from a single interface unfortunately. You would only see either the Windows clients or the Mac clients, but not both.

    This was my fear, ill have to suggest this to them then.

    Thanks guys,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    well the person who installed the MAC originally forgot to document or tell anyone the root user password. Awesome.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    well the person who installed the MAC originally forgot to document or tell anyone the root user password. Awesome.

    icon_lol.gif

    Boot the system from the Mac OS X installation CD and I think you can select the "Reset password" option.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAMember Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    FWIW, the next release of the Symantec corporate edition (11.0) WILL have the ability to manage Windows, Mac, and Linux clients from the same console.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Pash wrote:
    well the person who installed the MAC originally forgot to document or tell anyone the root user password. Awesome.

    icon_lol.gif

    Boot the system from the Mac OS X installation CD and I think you can select the "Reset password" option.

    thanks mark, worked a treat. icon_cheers.gif

    blargoe wrote:
    FWIW, the next release of the Symantec corporate edition (11.0) WILL have the ability to manage Windows, Mac, and Linux clients from the same console.

    thanks blargoe for the heads up, ill inform the IT manager of this.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
Sign In or Register to comment.