Options

Emptying Folder Scripts

nooch511nooch511 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need a .bat script to empty folders everyday through scheduled tasks. I have tried out several through MS technet and several others on the web. In the moment the job runs I can barely make out the error that DeleteFile command the script calls is not recognized. Is there a library I have to install? Here is the last script I tried.

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
objFSO.DeleteFile("FOLDER PATH GOES HERE")

Anyone have a tried and true script or any solution to schedule a task to empty a folder each day?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you need to empty a single folder or multiple folders?

I created a basic batch file on my home PC to clear downloads out of a folder every week.

I just CD to the directory, and delete everything (without prompting).

It looks like this:

CD [Path to directory]
    DEL * /Q
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    CD [Path to directory]
    DEL * /Q

This is in a .bat correct? I do need to empty out about 4 dozen folders, but planned to create a job for each folder. Right now I am just testing to do one folder. I'll give the above a try. Thanks
  • Options
    Yeah, just a regular plain-old .bat file.

Rather than having 48 scheduled tasks, you could always include all folders in a single batch file.

You could manually change to a directory, delete the files, change to the next directory, delete those files, etc., and then create a single task to run that batch file.

There is probably an easier way to do it, but that's what I know :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    That worked perfectly. After surfing and testing for 4 hours. it was as simple as

CD [Path to directory]
    DEL * /Q

Microsoft need to re-visit.

Beaver, you should post that on their forum.
  • Options
    Feel free to post the solution yourself if you'd like. Otherwise, post a link and I will :)

Glad it worked out for you. It reminds me of a time in my UNIX programming class where our professor was explaining some long-winded solution to a problem. I raised my hand and was like "umm...I was able to get the same result with 5 lines of code". :)
  • Options
    Professors and their long winding coding! I hated it.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/msh/default.mspx?mfr=true

Here is around where I found MS Scripts.

Thanks again