Options

What is the Difference Between Data Center & NOC?

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
I currently work at a NOC and i understand its mainly layer 3 troubleshooting working with routers and what not, which is why i want to get away from all that stuff, and looking for a job that goes back to genernal support of all things, computers, servers, devices, routers, etc... My question is would working in a Data Center be same thing as a NOC doing router support? Or does a Data Center support computers, servers, and other stuff that generally a desktop support person whould do?

Thanks in advance,

win2k4

Comments

• Options
    techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alright, I'll try to field this one the best I can, please, anyone, feel free to point out any mistakes I make.
    I wouldn't be so much concentrating on NOC vs. Data Center as the two terms are used not necessarily interchangibly, but, go hand in hand. What you might want to look for more is System Admin/ Junior Admin as opposed to Network admin, when looking for a job.
    Really, though, the best idea is to simply look at the job discription itself and if you have questions call about it.

Hope this helps
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    so basically data centers ands nocs are both strictly network side of things? Where as if i want to do something more then just networking i should not go for a data center type position?

Thanks,

win2k4
  • Options
    Not really, NOC, or, Network operations Center, normally refers to the entire enclosed area for IT. The helpdesk, Sysadmins, Network admins ect. Not always, but, normally, in a large enviroment. Data Center, is actually where most of the servers, switches and routers are kept. Usually withing a NOC. Again, this is just based off of my experience working with large companies and the military. Like I said before, you should check the actuall job discription. No matter your admin type, you'll probably be working in both unless it's a remote location. So, in summary, don't concentrate on those terms.
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • Options
    Sry, just wanted to also point out that there can be seperate data centers outside of the NOC, especially for reduncacy or for remote locations.