Options

Real World Question about MySQL Services

Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
Hello guys. I have a real world problem and I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on this problem.

DISCLAIMER*** I know next to nothing about Microsoft server stuff, I am a network geek.

Servers are running Server 2003. I am managing a system with a web-based application. To access this single web-based app is the only purpose of the workstation. DHCP is used to automatically distribute STATIC mappings preconfigured by me or one of my staff. A custom application is used to create these configs, not directly through the DHCP server, but I think that might need to change because of the problem I am having.

So, here is the problem in a nutshell. The DHCP service works fine and the workstation is able to get its IP address and related info and boot normally. However, the web-based application does not start properly. Just a window stating "Out of Service".

I don't the details of how it is working, but the MYSQL server services has to running properly on the DHCP servers so that the workstation can access the web server properly. I know that one fix is to shut the services off for a particular workstation and turn them back on. But I had a slightly different problem just today.

As I said, these are static mappings. I had a box that was taken out of production last year but the config is still in tact. Decided to use this box for a new server. So, I deleted the old config and created the new config and reimaged the box. When the imaging was finished and the box booted up, the "Out of Service" error message appeared. I logged into the DHCP servers directly and pulled up the MYSQL manager. The strange thing is the computer name for the old box was still in the list, and the computer name for the new box was not there. Also, even though the old name was there in the list, I could not select it to stop or pause the service.

So, as an experiment, I decided to restart each DHCP one at a time of course. After restarting, the MYSQL was as it should be with the old computer name gone and the new computer name in its place and services were running normally. After restarting the second DHCP, the reimaged box's web-based app came online.

Seems the MYSQL service is not synchronizing properly when new configs are made. This happens about 35% of the time when a box is reimaged.

What I was hoping to learn from you guys is how to get the MYSQL to synchronize with the new config WITHOUT having to reboot the box. I did it this time to test, but I can't just keep rebooting the DHCP servers every time this happens.

As a bonus, if anybody could offer any info about how to fix this problem altogether, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try clearing the DNS cache - it might be getting the old name there. When you reimage a box and boot up, it should register with DNS (but that really depends on your environment). On the newly imaged box try running ipconfig /registerdns and nbtstat -RR right away. It may take up to 15 minutes for the information to update on your server.

You may need to look at how DHCP and DNS are configured to work together in your environment.
    All things are possible, only believe.