Options

A nice thing to have...

mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am posting this because this is probably one of the most handiest devices you can own. It is called a ethernet hardware loopback plug. Their are some for CSU/DSU's and etc as well. but this one is just for ethernet.

You will need 1 spare rj-45 connector and about 3 inches of cat5e.

First off pull all the wires out of the 3 inches of cat5e and untwist the wires. Only keep the blue and orange wires.

Bend them sharply in a small U figure to fit inside the RJ-45 jack.

Short out the pin 1 to 3 with the orange wire and 2 to 6 with the blue wire. If you can use needle nose plyers to shove them in their so you dont have the wires hanging out. about .8 inches will work.

By doing this you've created an ethernet hardware lookback. These can be used to simulate a ethernet connection on a single port (single point ethernet termination) Meaning it will act as if its plugged into another device.

For an example you can plug this into f0/1 port on a Cisco 2621 and it bring the port up and you can assign an ip address and change the change timeout period and it will act as if its online, you'll be able to ping the interface, this will also work for subinterfaces as well on that physical interface so you can have 5 /24's on a f0/1 trunked and you'll be able to ping all of them to simulate a larger network then what you really have.

Any who figured this would be a great thing for you guys to know ^_^
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They don't work so well on interfaces that only support half duplex. An easier way to do what you're proposing is to simply use the "no keepalives" command and no shut the interface.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Yeah it has its ups and downs but for ccna it works great.... ccnp is a different ball game >.<

also these same plugs can be used to test loopback as well as not just on cisco equipment but many vendors.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Shhhhhh!!! Don't go telling people how to make their own loopback adapters, you'll run ThinkGeek out of business. Now all they'll have left will be the T-1 loopbacks. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    lol i know how to make those as well ^_^
  • Options
    wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    Shhhhhh!!! Don't go telling people how to make their own loopback adapters, you'll run ThinkGeek out of business. Now all they'll have left will be the T-1 loopbacks. icon_lol.gif

The sad part is I've made those on my own with a small loop hanging out the end to hang off the 'network keychain' I have for work....

Always a fun thing to have, as well as the corssover adapter.
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • Options
    DeliriousDelirious Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the how to, going to make me one when i get home.
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    lol i know how to make those as well ^_^

Do tell :)