Options

I was intimdated....................

TBLTZTBLTZ Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I walked into a possible consulting job and they have 5 cisco 2950 switches and I believe a Cisco IAD 400 with a T1 going into it.

After I got into the work I knew what was going on but I know very little for cisco commands.

I want go to for ccna. What equipment is good for the exam? Or should I just go with a simulator.

Would 2 routers and 1 switch do the job?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2 routers and a switch should suffice as long as you can grasp the concepts. You want the hardware to reinforce the concepts. Some people need more reinforcement than others. Obliged is selling off her gear, you should PM her.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    Do not buy a router which does not support SDM or you will regret it. New CCNA exams requires knowlege of SDM. Look into buying some 2600 routers that support SDM

Stay away from 2500 routers except access servers and 1900 switches. They are garbage
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    indeed.

what is SDM? i feel bad because i'm 3/4 through CCNA and i've never heard of that. :P

But i'd shoot for multiple switches if possible. you really can't do much with one switch.... a 2950 and a few 2924s would work.

You can get 2600s cheap on ebay, around $40 for the 2610s. 2620s (needed for router on a stick//intervlan routing) cost over $100.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    indeed.

what is SDM? i feel bad because i'm 3/4 through CCNA and i've never heard of that. :P

But i'd shoot for multiple switches if possible. you really can't do much with one switch.... a 2950 and a few 2924s would work.

You can get 2600s cheap on ebay, around $40 for the 2610s. 2620s (needed for router on a stick//intervlan routing) cost over $100.

Security Device Manager (SDM) is a Web-based device-management tool for Cisco routers that can improve the productivity of network managers, simplify router deployments, and help troubleshoot complex network and VPN connectivity issues.

Cisco SDM supports a wide range of Cisco IOS Software releases and is available free of charge on Cisco router models from Cisco 830 Series to Cisco 7301. It ships preinstalled on all new Cisco 850 Series, Cisco 870 Series, Cisco 1800 Series, Cisco 2800 Series, and Cisco 3800 Series integrated services routers.

Network and security administrators and channel partners can use Cisco SDM for faster and easier deployment of Cisco routers for integrated services such as dynamic routing, WAN access, WLAN, firewall, VPN, SSL VPN, IPS, and QoS.

Here a pic:

cdccont0900aecd80233584hu8.jpg

Hope this help. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    criz-zap and I thought I was cool with my stack of 2500 series under the coffee table. Are there any other big deals that I wont be able to cover with my routers?
    And how salient is this SDM? I havent seen it mentioned anywhere in my 3 books or on the cisco website under CCNA?
    (though I think I ran across it under the learning connection in general)
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mysql1988 wrote:
    Do not buy a router which does not support SDM or you will regret it. New CCNA exams requires knowlege of SDM. Look into buying some 2600 routers that support SDM

Stay away from 2500 routers except access servers and 1900 switches. They are garbage

SDM aside if your budget is tight there is nothing wrong with 2500 series routers for learning on. Upgrade flash and DRAM and run 12.x on them.