Options

Perl for IIS 6 (Win2k3)

bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
I've been using ActivePerl on Windows for a long long time, and it's never given me this problem before.

I've installed a new Win2k3 (Standard) server which is also a domain controller, and DNS, (tree domain in existing forest).

IIS 6 is configured, with the standard IUSR_<comp> added with execution rights and NTFS permission to the default website folder. Folder's set for script/executables and script access...ISAPI is configured for the PERL handler and MIME type is added.

Very strangely...no scripts are being intrepreted, and it's returning page can not be displayed....

Any ideas?
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you done this successfully on other W2K3 IIS servers that are also DC's?

Check the Local Security Policy/Domain Controller Security Policy for "access this computer from the network" and "deny access to this computer from the network". You need to have "anonymous" allowed I believe, and if something is listed in the deny (anything at all) it seems you also need to specify someone in the "allow" setting.

Check your firewall settings on the server (if any).

Check network connectivity (obviously). Try it from the server itself...

Just random thoughts and ideas....
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    This is the first time I am trying to install IIS on a DC, it's worked previously numerous times otherwise.

The problem might not be with GP for local login I dont think because I've tried to use an admin account to access the virtual directory, and it's giving the same problem.

Other virtual directories on IIS that isn't involving Perl scripts seem to be fine with and without the AD-integration for authentication.

Anyway, I've added IUSR_<comp> to allow access locally, but I dont think it's helping. If I allow annoymous in that policy, that's a little risky, isn't it? Besides, the annoymous access to IIS is mapped to IUSR_<comp> anyway, no?

This IIS server is behind the firewall, and I'm only accessing on the local machine, so it shouldnt be due to connectivity...

hmm....there must be something else I am not seeing or thinking about....
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Have you set the ActivePerl web service extension (if it creates one on its own,) or created a custom one, and set it to "Allowed"? By default, IIS 6.0 has all web services set to "Prohibited" and you have to explicitly allow them to run.

This article gives some info on enabling perl to run on IIS, and how to set up the basic configurations:
    Microsoft wrote:
    Configure PERL Script Mapping for IIS 6.0
    1. Click Start, click Programs, click Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services.
    2. Right-click a Web site that you want to enable PERL for, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the Home Directory tab.
    4. Click Configuration.
    5. Click Add.
    6. In the Executable box, type the following:
    full path to perlis.dll\perlis.dll
    You can also type the following:
    full path to perl.exe\perl.exe %s %s
    Note The "%s %s" is case sensitive (for example, "%S %S" does not work).
    7. In the Extension box, type .pl.

Note Make sure that the All Verbs option is selected for full functionality. Also, make sure that the Script Engine check box is selected.
    8. Click OK to return to the ISM.
    9. Click the Web Service Extensions folder.
    10. Click Add a new Web service extension.
    11. Type a name for the extension, such as "PERL Scripts."
    12. Click Add, type the full path to the Perl.exe file, and then click OK.
    13. Make sure that the Set extension status to Allowed check box is selected.
    14. Click OK to return to the ISM. With the IIS default scripts directory, the URL is the following:
    http://Server Name/scripts/helloworld.pl

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Thank you very much...

The installer didn't instal the extensions for some reason, and I forgot to check.

All is well now...thanks again!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Excellent! I'm glad you got it working.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.