Options

Difference between Serial and Ethernet

bikoalivebikoalive Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I am a noob in CCNA.

I gave the CCNA cram book a look over. But still I do not know what the difference between Serial and Ethernet is. Can anyone explain to me so I will be saved?

Thank you for your help in advance.

bowing.gif

Comments

• Options
    The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would start from square one and read a non cram CCNA book top to bottom. The question you're asking is something explained in depth in the first few chapters of most books.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not to mention is a pretty fundamental topic! icon_wink.gif:) If you don't have the Cisco Press books, take a look/even better--read the Sybex CCNA book. It is very readable and it will help you out.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bikoalive wrote:
    Hi I am a noob in CCNA.

I gave the CCNA cram book a look over. But still I do not know what the difference between Serial and Ethernet is. Can anyone explain to me so I will be saved?

Thank you for your help in advance.

bowing.gif

The biggest difference you will run into will be that in MOST cases, the serial is access to other routers/internet, ethernet is used to access your internal network.

As others have stated though, it's a very fundamental topic. Definately focus on the basics, and get those down pat, before jumping into commands and such, otherwise you will be lost for a long time to come.
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • Options
    bikoalivebikoalive Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear wait2dominate,

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Nowadays technology develops rapidly and new comers don't know the history.
    Many books contain a lot of details but a simple outline. Therein I get icon_confused.gif:

Thank you again!