Options

Resume / Certs Question

tallicaman99tallicaman99 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
IS MCP actually a designated and recognized certification? Is it listed on your resume? icon_confused.gif:
barmetallicafanjb1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on a couple factors. For one, is your resume close to 1 page in length? If you don't have enough to fill one page, then list it even if you have your MCSA. If you want to make your resume as concise as possible because you have a lot of qualifications/experience, then I would remove the MCP certification and just include a higher level certification which already includes the MCP, such as MCSA/MCSE.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    It's definately is recognized as a qualification........

But I feel it shouldn't be listed on your resume if you already have higher MS certs eg. MCSA\MCSE

Those who are viewing your resume should already know that you are an MCP otherwise you wouldn't have an MCSA\MCSE or any other type of MS qualification as MCP status is earned by passing just any one MS exam from a certain list...........

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    The MCP itself is not a certification. It is only a recognition from Microsoft that you have passed one or more Microsoft certification exams. If you put MCP on your resume, list the exams that you have passed (e.g., MCP (70-270, 70-620)). Once you have a Microsoft cert you no longer need to list MCP on your resume.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    The MCP itself is not a certification.

Since when?

If you have completed a higher level of certification, I would normally leave it off. I have used it in the past to show progress towards another higher level certification.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    The MCP itself is not a certification.

Since when?

Indeed. MCP is a certification:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcp/requirements.mspx
    MCP Certification Requirements
    Updated: November 15, 2006

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) candidates are required to pass one current Microsoft certification exam that provides a valid and reliable measure of technical proficiency and expertise.*

MCP exams are developed with the input of professionals in the industry and reflect how Microsoft products are used in organizations throughout the world. The exams are administered by Pearson VUE and Prometric, independent testing organizations with locations worldwide.

Note Exams 70-058 and 70-536 are exceptions to the one exam requirement. Passing either of these exams will not certify an individual as an MCP.

Exam requirements
    Please select a Microsoft exam from any certification track here. If you intend to continue pursuing a certification track after earning your MCP credential, you may want to choose an exam that will apply to that track.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    sprkymrk wrote:
    OK, the MCP certifies that you have passed at least one Microsoft certification exam. I would still suggest listing the Microsoft certification exams that you have passed next to "MCP" just to be clear.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    OK, the MCP certifies that you have passed at least one Microsoft certification exam. I would still suggest listing the Microsoft certification exams that you have passed next to "MCP" just to be clear.

Oh, I agree that listing the exam next to the cert is a good idea for MCP.

Any certification simply certifies that you have passed requisit exams. With MS, you always have choices. Unlike other vendors where you obtain certification by passing a specific exam (A+, CCNA, etc.), Microsoft certifications indicate you have passed an exam or group of exams that may vary.

MCP=(Pick One)
    MCSA=(Pick Four)
    MCSE=(Pick 7)

Give or take a couple depending on electives and other things, for instance you can choose your own Design exam or use certifications from other vendors as electives.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the confusion over the MCP is why MS is replacing it with the MCTS. Now instead of being a general MCP, people will begin to earn an MCTS on a specific product or technology.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    tjcassertjcasser Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    I think the confusion over the MCP is why MS is replacing it with the MCTS. Now instead of being a general MCP, people will begin to earn an MCTS on a specific product or technology.

I think that's also a good point - it's been the subject of a few arguments elsewhere that I've seen, factoring in what the MCP means. (Especially considering that there are two exams exempted from earning one an MCP.) I still, though, don't see the harm in general with listing an MCP on your resume or the like, since it does show that you've successfully passed an exam, especially if you're in the process of earning a multi-exam credential like MCTS.
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications
    MCPD: .Net Framework 2.0 Enterprise Applications
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would list your MCP certification on your resume even if you do have MCSA/MCSE already. Some employers just don't know any better and may not know what MCSA is for example but know what MCP is.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2