Options

Basic lab for new CCNA exam?

TMM3TMM3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am looking to purchase or build a basic lab that will give me some hands on experience with the material that I am studying for this CCNA. As it looks I will be taking the new CCNA exam when it comes out in a couple of months.
My question is that Im looking for the minimum and essential cisco devices inorder to best prepare for this new exam, would anybody have any suggestions on which hardware, or which place to purchase these materials from, maybee even a round about price so as I can use to compare against?
I would like to eventually go for the CCNP so if there is a slight difference in router or switch that I should purchase that will also work with the CCNP exam I welcome those suggestions aswell.

So far I have come across a couple of tips reading through this forum such as:
-SDM atleast on the switches
-stay away from the 2500 routers
-2 routers and two siwtches minimum
-ciscokits.com is too old of equitment and overpriced.

Any input is much appreciated.
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well... I dont know if 2501s are going to be obsolete for the new exam... I know for the current one I am using them and they serve me well. As far as prices here is the break down I have seen on eBay the last month or so. I know these prices may seem high to some of you who built your lab as recently as May but these things are in demand all of a sudden...

Here is my lab and the break down of prices.
    All w/o shipping and /each.
    1-2520 ~ 80
    3-2501s ~ $10-15 depends on Flash/RAM
    1-2514 ~ $40
    1 2509 ~ $100
    1-2620 ~ These really vary in price bc of the cards that come with them... They can range from like 100 all the way up to 300 or more... Mine had 2-WIC2T 2Port Smart Serial and a 8Port A/S Serial card for 200... I think that was good deal.
    2-2924 ~ $100
    1-2950 ~ they are HOT on ebay... no less then 200. If you get them for less then that you got a steal... right now they are all selling for 210-225 w/o shipping.

I say go with eBay and ask the sellers for a "show ver" if they don't have it posted on the auction. Make sure it says tested and working... confirm with them as well to make sure bc if it comes to you and doesn't ever power up you can at least file a claim... GL! Hope that helps...
  • Options
    TMM3TMM3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the response.
    Im sure there are a few people in the same boat that I am in seeing as this new exam is comming out pretty soon here.

Would there be any "kits" on ebay that one might recommend that isnt overly priced or that has equitment that might be deemed "too old"? I would prefer to just buy a kit and get started on everything as I dont like to wait and poke around.

Thanks again
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I considered purchasing a kit, and after assembling my own I am glad I didn't. The whole process of finding the equipment for a good price etc takes a ton of time but once you get it in parts you will have to learn about the equipment yourself... This process will help you figure things out about it. Like how much RAM/Flash it has, are all the interfaces working? What IOS is it? How do I tftp a new one over to replace the IOS... Even the process of selecting how many cables you need will help you design your network. All these small things contribute greatly. This whole process is omitted with the purchase of a kit. Yes it does save time, but if you are pressed for time then I suggest holding off on the CCNA all together... this is not a exam you can rush. Just WAY too much stuff to memorize and doing everything by hand yourself instead of getting it all pre-built will go a LONG way to helping you understand the concepts for the exam. :)