Options

Received job offer for networking..

blueblazeblueblaze Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just received a job offer from a company which is doing network support from home. Job description is as follows:

This position is a Work from home position.Candidate should have a good understanding of working with cisco switches and routers.Apart from that the candidate should have an experience of working on LANs. Certifications are a plus but although,are not required for this entry level work from home position.

I was thinking , if this work from home, I wouldn't get experience working with the actual hardware, like routers and switches. Ill be configuring them from just my home. This is going to be my first IT job. Rate pay is 15 dollars an hour with one year contract. I would be working for IBM. What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Why not? If it's only a year contract and pays $15 an hour for you to work from home?

Just because you don't get the hardware experience, doesn't mean you won't get valuable experience, especially since it's your first IT job.
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea man... $15/hr to work from home? Even if you don't work directly with the hardware you'll still have a good chance to learn and familiarize yourself with the Cisco IOS command-line interface which is just as important if not more important than messing around with the cabling.

And you're working from home... I'd be all over that if I were you. They give you benefits like health insurance and stuff?

Then again, if you're young you might not really need the health insurance but that's a decision you'll have to make on your own.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think if you don't have a Job in IT now and you want to become a Network Admin/Engineer working with Cisco equipment in the future then go for it. If worst comes to worst and you don't like the job you can always start looking for another, and since you would be gaining experience it would help find another IT job. Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never trust work at home positions. They all seem scammy to me.

That said, I've never seen one offering less than 75k a year, so this ones seems a bit more legit...
  • Options
    erwin f fletchererwin f fletcher Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Experience is experience. I say go go for it. This job will probably lend itself to some flexibility that you wouldn't have going in to the office.

I worked out of my home doing warranty repair for Dell. It was a pretty good deal..........
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't get me wrong... I've done field tech work from "home" meaning that that was where I left and went to everday before and after service calls. But the whole working AT home is the thing I don't trust. Sounds too much like the whole "put together CD cases at home and make quick cash" or "Lick stamps at home" crap...

Call me a cynic...
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree that a lot of those "work from home" job ads you see are probably scams. But blueblaze said the particular job he was describing was a 1 year contract that pays $15/hr. and the company he would be working for is IBM. That sounds legit to me.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2