config t
username test password letmein
int s0
encap ppp
ppp authn chap
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0
no shut
/*************/

is the bandwidth and clock rate command needed? cisco and Todd do not mention anythnig about it in their books, so it is just a question if needed when configuring. If i think this out, i would say no, because IGRP and EGIRP use bandwith to determine path, and the nature of ppp will not forward this protocol out the interface, am i right to assume this, or am i totally off?

thank you.
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bandwidth is arbitrary and only for routing protocol calculations. The clock rate would be needed for any DCE interface. Doesn't matter what encapsulation you have.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    Netstudent wrote:
    bandwidth is arbitrary and only for routing protocol calculations. The clock rate would be needed for any DCE interface. Doesn't matter what encapsulation you have.

so is it a wise idea just to supply the commands and details on the interface any way?
    Arrakis
  • Options
    datchcha wrote:
    Netstudent wrote:

so is it a wise idea just to supply the commands and details on the interface any way?

Because i noticed through out Todd's book he supplies the clock rate, and notes that it is not needed, he just likes to supply it.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    I always apply a clock rate on my DCE, but rarely do I use the bandwidth command because it is only used to manipulate a routing protocol.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya when using routing protocols that use cost or bandwidth, it is best to nail down the bandwidth to the correct values so that traffic takes the correct path. If the bandwidth is left to a default value, the traffic could take a less optimal path. For home lab purposes I don;t think it is that imporant. In large production networks it is probably very important. With OSPF in homelabs I like to change the bandwidth just to see the SPF algorithm change to a shorter path.
    Just to watch ospf topology database behavior, and new routes.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Great help - answered my crazy brain storm...thank you.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you could use the bandwidth statement if you wanted the interface to transmit at a speed slower than it has..

for example on the T1 =1544 but you only have a cir 512
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons