Options

Static addresses in NAT

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
I'm told to reserve the first 10 usable addresses of this network in this NAT exercise, while just PC1 should be assigned a static IP (just one switch in use, too). Without having to diagram the whole exercise, would I assign PC1 an IP inside the reserved IP addresses, or give it one outside that range? I've not been told one way or the other, so I wonder if it's standard policy or good sense to do one or the other?

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    are the 10 reserves for a pool? Are these 10 reserves local insides or global insides? It's kinda hard to say with the information given. I'm not sure if those 10 reserves are for a pool and you are supposed to assign the host any IP from the range. Or if the 1 of the 10 reserves should be assigned o the host while the other nine are put in a pool.

It sounds like those reserves are for a pool and the host should be assigned something outside the reserved space as a static address. But I don;t see the point in translating a host's IP to another IP within the same range or same block.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Yeah, pretty vague question.

It would make sense that the 10 IP's are public, and 9 of them are going into a pool. So PC1 gets the first IP via a static assignment... the other 9 get pooled.

The other option (based on how you stated the question) is to pool inside IP's for outside (read: remote) access into your network. Then you're doing the same, in reverse. Reserve the first 10 IP's in your network (ie, 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.10) for NAT'ting. A public PC (PC1) will get 1.1, while 1.2 - 1.10 get pooled for all other remote users.

If it's the latter, don't forget the reversal on the #ip nat inside / outside on the routers ports.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    Sorry for the vagueness. Ok, the 10 reserved IP addresses are reserved for the local LAN. I have a mask of /24, so lots of host addresses to use. My allotted NAT (public) IPs are only five usable IPs (199.9.9.0 /29 - PC1 will get 199.9.9.6) but, of course, my PC1 needs an address to translate to a public IP first. LAN is 192.168.5.0 /24, with the def. gateway getting 5.1 and the switch getting 5.2. They'll both be within the reserved IP range. The first 10 usable IPs are 5.1-5.10, so should I give PC1 5.3 or 5.11?
  • Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    I have not fully understood Your demand, but You must decide what means "reserved"; If they are 10 reserved IP addresses for LAN (def.gateway and more switches and other devices) the first usable IP address for a PC is 192.168.5.11, but You said the PC1 has 192.168.5.6 who fall into this "reserved" range.
    Then, however, I don't understand where is NAT in this exercise.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.