Options

Conflicting VLAN commands Todd vs Cisco Press

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
I am getting confused with VLAN commands and how to create them because Todd, and Cisco describe two different methods for a 29xx switch. I am worried that the Cisco test will only accept one way, and mark my answer wrong, so which way is the correct way, or which way is the “Cisco Way”. Here are a few examples.

-=Todd=-
En
Config t
Vlan 2
Name lab

en
Config t
Int f0/2
Switchport access vlan 2

-=Cisco=-
en
vlan database
vlan 2 name barney 2
config t
int f0/4
switchport mode access
switchport acces vlan 2
int f0/6
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 2
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As others have stated before, the test will only allow for one way to be inputed. Which way....I dunno

As for which way is correct....I have used both before....the vlan database on a 2900 switch and the conf t method on a 2950 switch.....
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VLAN database configuration mode is being removed and should not be used if the switch IOS supprts VLAN configuration mode (that's the rotuer(config-vlan)# one that you access from global config) You cannot create extended range VLANS in the vlan database mode.

you should be familiar with both, but I would use the vlan configuration mode when possible:

enable
    config t
    vlan 2
    name lab
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    VLAN database configuration mode is being removed and should not be used if the switch IOS supprts VLAN configuration mode (that's the rotuer(config-vlan)# one that you access from global config) You cannot create extended range VLANS in the vlan database mode.

you should be familiar with both, but I would use the vlan configuration mode when possible:

enable
    config t
    vlan 2
    name lab

The other huge benifit of this method is when you are assigning multiple ports to the samae VLAN, using the range keyword:) Makes life happy.

• Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great question... I was searching for the answer to this too.
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    Ok thanks. Which method did you use when your CCNA.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    datchcha wrote:
    Ok thanks. Which method did you use when your CCNA.

Not sure if it violates NDA to post it or not, so I'd say just know both. It's only a few more lines anyways.

Based off the change to the exam, and IOS releases at the date of new exam release, I'm sure the 802 will use the conf t method

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If this comes up in an exam, it will most likely be a sim. Where you would have to configure vlans or something. If one method comes back and gives you an error, then you know it's the other method. Also if it is a vlan sim, then most likely the show vlan command will be supported. So whatever method you use, just do your show commands to make sure you have added the vlans with the correct names and numbers.

If it is a mulitple choice Q, then choose one method or the other. If both methods are in the answer choice and it says choose the best option, well then you better use the modern method and not the phased out method. If this was to arise, they would be testing your ability to recognize current standards i would guess.

I don't think cisco will leave an opened ended question when they know some methodologies are being phased out.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is the message I get when doing the command "vlan database" on my 2950 with the latest IOS...
    2950A#vlan database
    % Warning: It is recommended to configure VLAN from config mode,
      as VLAN database mode is being deprecated. Please consult user
      documentation for configuring VTP/VLAN in config mode.

I guess config would be the way to go....