Options

Best way to attach resume to e-mail?

GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
What is the best way to attach my resume to an e-mail? (In e-mail itself, Word document, PDF?)

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would include it as a word doc attachement (not a docx), unless they request otherwise.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The most common way I've seen is as a Word (.doc) file. That seems to be the generally accepted way of sending out your resume, unless specifically asked by the hiring company or manager for another format.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    .doc is pretty much standard. Like someone else said, if you are using Office '07 don't let it save in the default .docx format. A couple of times I have had them request a plain text resume but that's rare.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    What is the best way to attach my resume to an e-mail? (In e-mail itself, Word document, PDF?)

Gundamtdk,

Prior to attaching it, you might want to password protect the .doc file to protect it from being modified.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I disagree with the password protection - HR people and recruiters are morons and complicating the process makes it easier for your resume to get tossed. If tampering is a concern, use a PDF and copy protect it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gundamtdk wrote:

Gundamtdk,

Prior to attaching it, you might want to password protect the .doc file to protect it from being modified.

I cannot think of a good reason as to why would an employer want to modify your resume.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lets say for a min they want to make some comments for themselves then i believe it should not concern the person who applied for the job.

If something concerns you then PDF will be lot better than protecting it with password. It may become "over" protected and HR may not even bother opening it icon_lol.gif
    :study:
  • Options
    martinedwardsmartinedwards Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    its not the employer that would modify it, its the recruitment agencies. they like to put their contact details over yours.
    whats to stop them messing it up? icon_confused.gif:
    Knowledge is Power
  • Options
    GregDGregD Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like using HTML docs. Nice and easy to format, and they can be read quite prettily even if the person doesn't have Office on that computer, for whatever reason.
    CCNA - Complete
    CCNP - BCMSN, ONT Complete.

Up Next - ISCW, BSCI
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    go with doc unless asked for something different

also be aware that there is a lot of PDF spam lately making your resume into pdf format may get it caught in junk folders.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Gundamtdk wrote:

hands down PDF
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    PDF is more likely to make it through email filters than a Word file or HTML. Still, I'm always concerned that any email with an attachment might be tossed in the bit-bucket, so if I don't get a reply I always send a follow-up email with no attachment to inquire.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    PDF hands down. I use Adobe InDesign to make very professionally looking documents. To me, .doc is not even an option. You don't know if they use Word. And if they do, you don't know if the format is getting f*cked. (You could use a plain font/format, but that's not professionally.
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    It really depends on the company. For a long time, I sent all of my resumes in PDF until I got an e-mail from some company that wanted me to resend my resume as a .doc. In some companies, WORD is more standard than Acrobat Reader, as stupid as that may be.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    I usually use PDF as well since I know it will look the same to them as it does to me and also does provide write protection on the document. I always mention that I would be willing to send it in another format if they are unable to view it and always follow-up to ensure it was received.
  • Options
    druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I always use a simple .txt. Easy to read and everyone has it. I carry a hard copy of my resume in with me to interview though. I would love to use word but you never know if they have it or if what year they have. I just see alot of format errors in word when I move between computers...
  • Options
    GeoDudeGeoDude Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use PDF. Especially when I have complex tables in word. It only takes a click of the mouse and the layout gets totally screwed. So with a PDF there is little chance that anyone can accidently mess up the layout when sending it around between HR people.
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Almost every company I have spoken with specifically asked for a word document.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I perfer on the email body unless the announcement specific that attach with doc format.

The Office 2007 is s@uk. My co-worker told me that an increase on helpdesk ticket regarding those doc and docx. User want to default setup to .doc on Word 2007 because other companies don't have Office 2007. I would say most of the companies still running Office 2003. Some great idea from Mgmt that want us to upgrade to Office 2007.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn