How Switch 2950 IOS upgrade with Solarwind Tftp server

357357 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!
Good day!

I tried to update the IOS of my switch (2950) but I got an error message from solarwind server "file does not exit" but the .bin file was there in tftp-root.

These are steps that I made bet. switch anf my pc.

1. configure vlan 1 ip address 10.0.0.1/24
2. configure my PC ip add. 10.0.0.2/24
3. configure solarwind tftp-root at d:\tftp-root and placed the .bin file there and both x'mit and receive files
4. connect straight through cable from sw. port 1 to PC nic.
5. can ping 10.0.0.1 from pc but can not ping 10.0.0.2 from the router
6. telnet 10.0.0.1
7. copy tftp flash

Got the error message above both router and solarwind server.

Is it possible to update IOS using console cable RJ45-to-DB9 with hyper terminal? If so, could help me how.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards,

Comments

• nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    if you cannot ping both the switch and the PC back and forth it is not going to work.

After you get full conectivity, go into hyperterminal and use the "copy tftp flash" command
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I'd lay you odds it's a typo, somewhere between what the file name ACTUALLY is and what you're typing for the filename when prompted after the copy tftp flash. I've had this happen... something as simple as 122-35.SE2.bin, and I'll enter se2.bin. No joy.

Double check that and let us know.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    357 wrote:
    5. can ping 10.0.0.1 from pc but can not ping 10.0.0.2 from the router

Do you mean from the switch?

First thing you need to make sure you can do is establish a good connection b/w PC and switch...

Get a program such as "IP Tools" and monitor the NIC on your PC to see if you are receiving the ICMP packets from the switch when trying to ping it.

From PC to Switch
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Leszek>ping 172.16.110.1

Pinging 172.16.110.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 172.16.110.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 172.16.110.1:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

From Switch to PC
    2950A# ping 172.16.110.2

Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.110.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/202/1000 ms
    2950A#

You have to be able to ping both ways before doing any TFTP... Make sure firewall is disabled, etc.

Use a straight cable.

Copy and paste your "copy tftp flash" output here so maybe we can see if something is out of whack....
    You can also try copying the current IOS from the switch to the tftp server first so that way you can see if maybe the file name you are typing is incorrect when you are copying from the tftp to the switch. You definitely wont get a file does not exist message if you do that... This would also confirm your connection is good. Then try copying that same original IOS back to the switch... If that works then you are typing something incorrectly when declaring to the switch the source file name on the tftp server when updating the IOS. Hope that helps.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would guess the reaason behind whay you can't ping from the switch to the PC is due to a personal firewall on the conputer (Windows firewall or otherwise) and that is a likely reason why the TFTP transfer is failing as well. I would make sure the firewall is disabled (during the file copy then re-enable it) or add an exception to the firewall to allow ping and tftp.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • 357357 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone!

Yahoooooooo! I got it! Mikearama was correct. I miss to include the filename extension .bin. Next my router 3640 ios. Then, I'll upgrade all our switches in our company, my boss gives this task yesterday.

Guys, thank you very much for all you replies. If you any info to remind me before any upgrade just inform me and very much appreciated.

Once again, thank you very much.

Regards