Options

The most dull area of the ccna for me is...

mattiplermattipler Member Posts: 175
I'm almost ready for putting myself in for the CCNA... feel quite confident with all of the curriculum. But there is just one area that won't stick in my head no matter how much I read it... I find it so dull my brain aches. Configuration Registry settings and there uses and what, when, how to apply them!!! I'll read it all and then a week or so later it's gone!!! THEY JUST WON'T STICK! I think it's because I find the whole topic so mind numbingly boring. It's driving me f'ing mad! icon_evil.gif
Matt of England

Comments

• Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I'm with ya, Matt... I also found it tough to recall.

Here's what helped me: try to remember the boot sequences, not by number, but by function.

So first, a device should boot "basic"... similar to the bios on a pc. In router/switch world, that's ROM (actually, ROMMON).

Next, a bit further... say, to the DOS prompt, in pc terms. For us, that's ROM RxBoot. Now you can issue commands required to connect to a tftp and get an IOS.

Third, right to the operating system... ie, normal boot. Checks nvram for 'boot' command pointing to a valid IOS.

Lastly, unique to us... password recovery.

Numerically, in order: 2100; 2101; 2102; 2142.

Everyone remembers the 2142... it's for such a unique purpose. But 2100 - 2102... problematic. But thinking in terms of what they accomplish makes it make sense.

And (again, trying to be vague *nudge/wink*), an "exam prep" type question would be something along the lines of:

You are the admin of a network, and one of your routers will not boot using the startup-config loaded into NVRam... rather, it boots into Setup Mode every time. Why? Cause the config reg is set to 2142.

HTH,
    Mike (of Canada)
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    These numbers are problematic for me too.

A few years ago when attending a job intervew I was given a router and I was asked to recover the password, I was able to do that CTRL+BREAK thing to jump into rommon mode,
    (by the way I got asked what was the key combination to do this on Windows95, I think it is not CTRL+BREAK but other key is needed), anyway I didnt remember the "magic number" to boot the router using the full IOS without reading the configuration file (0x2142) icon_redface.gif , I thought I would remember it forever after that time, but I kept on forgetting it.

Nowadays, all I do in order to remember it is just recalling the 21 number, and then just having in mind I have to multiply this number by 2 to get the other 2 digits, 21x2=42, I know, its silly but that is how it comes to me.

For the other numbers I think Mikerama has an excelent way to remember them.
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    I hate having to know all the cabling specifics and their parameters. And now with the wireless stuff too that's extra monotonous. I made flas cards on top of my notes for that stuff. Almost have it all down.

I'm talking about knowing what 10base2, 10base5, 10baseT, etc all break down to. Baseband, meters, wiring, mbps per, etc...hate it.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    for me it's anything ISDN.
  • Options
    DeliriousDelirious Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    markzab wrote:
    I hate having to know all the cabling specifics and their parameters. And now with the wireless stuff too that's extra monotonous. I made flas cards on top of my notes for that stuff. Almost have it all down.

I'm talking about knowing what 10base2, 10base5, 10baseT, etc all break down to. Baseband, meters, wiring, mbps per, etc...hate it.

yah i hate that tooo
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Delirious wrote:
    markzab wrote:

yah i hate that tooo

The worst part about it is that it's something you have to memorise because those are like the gimme questions on the test. Those and all the port numbers, AD's, etc.

If even one of those causes you to fail it would suck big time and the only way to know is not to get them wrong.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ports numbers and such were fun and simple, but I have always hated the cable and ISDN portion. ISDN is unfamiliar to me and I still don't completely understand it. They have the BICSI certification...they should keep the cabling stuff over there. icon_sad.gif

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me it's anything to with ISDN. I used to have an ISDN here so I understand the two + one channel setup, but reading the books it still turns my brain to mush.

If you need a quick tip remembering ADs, I remember them by vowels and how they appear in the alphabet (e.g. A,E,I,O,U). In this case it would be E(IGRP), I(GRP), O(SPF), R(IP) with their distances starting at 90 (EIGRP), 100 (IGRP), 110 (OSPF), 120 (RIP).
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never could understand why they would make IGRP more trustworthy than OSPF.
    But it is what it is......
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Because its Cisco's protocol and Cisco's equipment.
  • Options
    mattiplermattipler Member Posts: 175
    Cheers Mikearama... short of tattooing it back-to-front on my forehead I was close to losing hope of ever learning it. icon_lol.gif
    Matt of England
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    ISDN for me as well... luckily its not that heavily tested in CCNA
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From an instructors point of view, the general communities weakness seems to be identifying IOS versions and featuresets. Which ios can support what features. Probably most of questions i see is "oh my router cant do this or that" well??? what ios do you use? I actually test most of my students on this topic because its essential to the field. Hence the main reason why i wrote my guide
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1