Options

CCENT and Cisco Network Academy training

RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
Yesterday, I sign up for the first class in the Cisco Network Academy curriculum at the local community college as I begin work on obtaining my CCNA. Did check out what books the instructors will be using and it's the four-course CCNA sequence (CCNA 1, CCNA 2, etc.) of the Cisco Networking Academy program.

Then, I roam around the Cisco web site and start reading about CCENT, new CCNA exam sequences, new exams and even new courses in the Cisco Networking Academy. What gives??? Will the old Cisco course sequence work with (or towards) the "new" Cisco exams?

Seems like the CCENT/CCNA credential duo is similar to what I've been through working on my MCDST. When I passed one exam (70-271), I became a MCP and when I pass a second exam (70-272), I get the MCDST credential.

I'm not even sure if I need to do the two-exam deal for CCNA or take the one composite exam? I would say if you do the two-exam deal, the first exam may give an idea on what the other exam or even other Cisco exams will be like. Other than that, I know I've got my work cut out for me, but, I feel the classes at the community college will be helpful in some way, shape or form towards these "new" Cisco exams. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Huh...

"The Cisco CCENT (Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician) certification validates the skills required for entry-level network support positions, the starting point for many successful careers in networking. Candidates should have the knowledge and skill to install, operate and troubleshoot a small enterprise branch network, including basic network security. CCENT certification is the first step toward achieving CCNA, which covers medium size enterprise branch networks with more complex connections. "

It looks as though the CCENT is PRE-CCNA work.

Look at the pic here, It shows CCNA above CCENT.
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le45/learning_certification_level_home.html

Infact, It looks as though it is just the ICND part of the CCNA.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    RD28327 wrote:
    Yesterday, I sign up for the first class in the Cisco Network Academy curriculum at the local community college as I begin work on obtaining my CCNA. Did check out what books the instructors will be using and it's the four-course CCNA sequence (CCNA 1, CCNA 2, etc.) of the Cisco Networking Academy program.

Then, I roam around the Cisco web site and start reading about CCENT, new CCNA exam sequences, new exams and even new courses in the Cisco Networking Academy. What gives??? Will the old Cisco course sequence work with (or towards) the "new" Cisco exams?

Seems like the CCENT/CCNA credential duo is similar to what I've been through working on my MCDST. When I passed one exam (70-271), I became a MCP and when I pass a second exam (70-272), I get the MCDST credential.

I'm not even sure if I need to do the two-exam deal for CCNA or take the one composite exam? I would say if you do the two-exam deal, the first exam may give an idea on what the other exam or even other Cisco exams will be like. Other than that, I know I've got my work cut out for me, but, I feel the classes at the community college will be helpful in some way, shape or form towards these "new" Cisco exams. Any ideas?

RD28327,

Try to find out if the Cisco Networking Academy program is called either "CCNA Discovery" or "CCNA Explorations." If so, then they're designed for the ICND1/ICND2 exams track and therefore the CCENT/CCNA certification track. If not, then you're in the INTRO/ICND exams track and therefore the CCNA certification track without the CCENT certification. However, if you take and pass INTRO exam and the ICND2 exam, that will also lead to full CCNA certification.

Source:
    1. New CCNA Curricula Preview-Course Catalog - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/course_catalog/newCCNA.html
  • Options
    RD28327 wrote:

RD28327,

Try to find out if the Cisco Networking Academy program is called either "CCNA Discovery" or "CCNA Explorations." If so, then they're designed for the ICND1/ICND2 exams track and therefore the CCENT/CCNA certification track. If not, then you're in the INTRO/ICND exams track and therefore the CCNA certification track without the CCENT certification. However, if you take and pass INTRO exam and the ICND2 exam, that will also lead to full CCNA certification.

Source:
    1. New CCNA Curricula Preview-Course Catalog - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/course_catalog/newCCNA.html

Correction,

According to the "Frequently Asked Questions: New CCNA Curricula" PDF file...
    Q: What courses do students need to take to prepare for the new entry level certification?
    A: Cisco Networking Academy students currently have to complete all four CCNA courses to be fully prepared to take the CCNA certification exam. With the introduction of the CCENT certification, students have an additional certification option. The CCNA Discovery curriculum prepares students to take the new entry level certification exam after completing the first two courses, Networking for Home and Small Businesses and Working at a Small-to-Medium Business or ISP. Students are prepared to take the CCNA certification exam after completing all four courses.

So that means the "CCNA Discovery" curriculum is aligned to the CCENT/CCNA certification track. The "CCNA Exploration" curriculum is aligned to the direct to CCNA certification track. I'm not saying that a student in the "CCNA Exploration" curriculum is prohibited from attempting the 640-822 ICND1 exam that will lead to CCENT certification.

Source:
    1. Frequently Asked Questions: New CCNA Curricula - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/downloads/pdf/newCCNAfaq.pdf
  • Options
    OK, I've seen all the links and no one is showing me anything that I haven't seen before. I know for my first class, the book has CCNA 1 as part of the title. Of course, the college could switch gears and go with the new curriculum before classes start about a month from now (8/20). At least I haven't bought any books yet.

From what I have read so far, the differences between the old curriculum and the new curriculum are not major. I'm still gonna take the class, whether it's old curriculum, new curriculum or whatever.
  • Options
    RD28327 wrote:
    OK, I've seen all the links and no one is showing me anything that I haven't seen before. I know for my first class, the book has CCNA 1 as part of the title. Of course, the college could switch gears and go with the new curriculum before classes start about a month from now (8/20). At least I haven't bought any books yet.

From what I have read so far, the differences between the old curriculum and the new curriculum are not major. I'm still gonna take the class, whether it's old curriculum, new curriculum or whatever.

RD28327,

Unless your college has a time machine, it is going to be difficult for them to switch gears from current curriculum to the new curriculum prior to 8/20/2007 because the textbooks for the new curriculum won't be published until at least Oct 2007.
    Cisco Press Books
    Q. What Cisco Press books will support the CCNA Discovery curriculum and when will they be available?
    A. <snip>
    Networking for Home and Small Business, CCNA Discovery Learning Guide
    ISBN-10: 1-58713-209-5
    ISBN-13: 9781587132094
    Publication Date: October 2007

Working at a Small-to-Medium Business or ISP, CCNA Discovery Learning Guide
    ISBN-10: 1-58713-210-9
    ISBN-13: 9781587132100
    Publication Date: December 2007

Introducing Routing and Switching in the Enterprise, CCNA Discovery Learning Guide
    ISBN-10: 1-58713-211-7
    ISBN-13: 9781587132117
    Publication Date: Early 2008

Designing and Supporting Computer Networks, CCNA Discovery Learning Guide
    ISBN-10: 1-58713-212-5
    ISBN-13: 9781587132124

Q. What Cisco Press books will support the CCNA Exploration curriculum and when will they be available?
    A.<snip>
    Network Fundamentals course:

Network Fundamentals, CCNA Exploration Companion Guide
    ISBN-10: 1-58713-208-7
    ISBN-13: 9781587132087

Network Fundamentals, CCNA Exploration Labs and Study Guide
    ISBN-10: 1-58713-203-6
    ISBN-13: 9781587132032

Routing Protocols and Concepts course:

Routing Protocols and Concepts, CCNA Exploration Companion Guide
    ISBN-10: 1-58713-206-0
    ISBN-13: 9781587132063

LAN Switching and Wireless course:

LAN Switching and Wireless, CCNA Exploration Companion Guide
    ISBN-10: 1-58713-207-9
    ISBN-13: 9781587132070

Accessing the WAN course:

Accessing the WAN, CCNA Exploration Companion Guide
    ISBN-10: 1-58713-205-2
    ISBN-13: 9781587132056

Source:
    1. Frequently Asked Questions: New CCNA Curricula - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/downloads/pdf/newCCNAfaq.pdf
  • Options
    In other words, there's basically nothing to worry about since the differences between the old and new curriculum are minimal. Right?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The new ICND1 class that replaces INTRO includes basic NAT, more routing protocols and basic security as well as basic wireless technology.

The new ICND2 includes RSTP, IPv6, SSH and 802.11 (various extensions) in detail.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    If you already hold a CCNA, will it expire after 11.06.07? For example if I pass and hold a CCNA on 9/11/07, will it still be valid for 3 years, even after 11/06/07?
    Arrakis
  • Options
    wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    datchcha wrote:
    If you already hold a CCNA, will it expire after 11.06.07? For example if I pass and hold a CCNA on 9/11/07, will it still be valid for 3 years, even after 11/06/07?

Yes, it will still be valid
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    datchcha wrote:

But why would you want to take a test on 9/11? icon_eek.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    markzab wrote:
    datchcha wrote:

That was a type-O on my part, and have rescheduled my test date. Thank you.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    datchcha wrote:
    markzab wrote:
    datchcha wrote:

That was a type-O on my part, and have rescheduled my test date. Thank you.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I was kind of kidding. Didn't expect you to actually change the date. But I'm a supersticious guy myself so I'd think you probably couldn't pick a more unlucky date. :)
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    This seems to be a relevant place to post this. . .

Do y'all think Cisco would have any objection to a candidate taking the CCENT with ICND1, then going back and completing the 801 CCNA?

Reason I'm asking is, I'd love to have an entry-level Cisco cert yesterday. But I don't want to have to throw out all my 801 materials, either.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    supercooldudesupercooldude Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote:
    This seems to be a relevant place to post this. . .

Do y'all think Cisco would have any objection to a candidate taking the CCENT with ICND1, then going back and completing the 801 CCNA?

Reason I'm asking is, I'd love to have an entry-level Cisco cert yesterday. But I don't want to have to throw out all my 801 materials, either.
    Yes, but only if you can pass ICND1 and the old ICND before it retires. Then you'll be CCENT and CCNA.