Options

Are CBT Nuggets Enough?

raptur2000raptur2000 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have the CBT Nuggets DVD for the 70-290 Test. Do you all think that with all that James Conrad goes over in the DVD will be enough to pass the test?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The short answer is no. Unless you have several years' experience working with Windows Server 2003, (as a systems administrator, working with various aspects of the operating system on a daily basis,) CBT Nuggets won't be enough by itself. I'd recommend at least one book, preferably more, as your primary study material, and use the CBT Nuggets to back up what you read about. The CBT Nuggets won't cover everything in detail, it covers most things and really serves to give you a look at how things work and gives you a visual experience of the things you've been reading about. The book(s) will cover details, specifics, and really hit those topics on the 70-290 MCP page, so you can focus on the areas you don't know and also be sure you've covered everything that may be asked about on the exam. Of course, you'll also need the hands-on experience that's recommended by Microsoft, and the lab-scenarios at the end of each chapter in the MS Press book will help you get just that.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    The short answer is no. Unless you have several years' experience working with Windows Server 2003, (as a systems administrator, working with various aspects of the operating system on a daily basis,) CBT Nuggets won't be enough by itself. I'd recommend at least one book, preferably more, as your primary study material, and use the CBT Nuggets to back up what you read about. The CBT Nuggets won't cover everything in detail, it covers most things and really serves to give you a look at how things work and gives you a visual experience of the things you've been reading about. The book(s) will cover details, specifics, and really hit those topics on the 70-290 MCP page, so you can focus on the areas you don't know and also be sure you've covered everything that may be asked about on the exam. Of course, you'll also need the hands-on experience that's recommended by Microsoft, and the lab-scenarios at the end of each chapter in the MS Press book will help you get just that.

+1
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    tonydotigrtonydotigr Member Posts: 129
    +2

One source is not enough for most certifications, unless you're a subject expert.
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    tonydotigr wrote:
    +2

One source is not enough for most certifications, unless you're a subject expert.

If you're a subject expert, you shouldn't need any sources ;)

But I agree with what everyone has already said...usually a book combined with a CBT/Video will do the trick
  • Options
    ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    Although I would agree with the above, I took this exam after just using the Testout cbt's and passed with a close 745. If I were to zip back in time I would def. have used cbt's and a book and I'm positive I would have got a much more convincing score.
    ~Thiassi
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree you need to read a book to. I read the ms-press book for this exam 1st edition and its been my experience that 2nd edition books are much better.

For some reason this exam did a better job of simulating stress for me than 70-210 or 70-291, but that doesn't mean it was harder, just more stressfull.

You need to know ntfs permissions and share permissions inside and out, plus it really helps to know at work whats gonna happen if you reset permissions on all child objects. lol

You really need to setup a lab possibly with vmware, there is nothing like hands on.

P.s James Conrad is great.