CCNA Now or in a 2 monthish?

wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
General question about when to take the exam....

I know it's changing to the 801, so I plan on taking it and passing it before the cutoff date in November.

When I finish my CCNA4 book, pass all the online tests and tests available through the school(crammaster), should I take it after that, or wait until the end of the CCNA4 class(ends at end of september when they offer the discount through the academy program?

I know, stupid question as I want to take it as soon as possible, but your advice please?
Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.

Comments

• The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you could always try it now, and if you do not pass...take it end of september and get the discount. If you pass now, sweet...if not, you'll be prepared on what to expect.
  • wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you could always try it now, and if you do not pass...take it end of september and get the discount. If you pass now, sweet...if not, you'll be prepared on what to expect.

That's my thought on it overall, as I'm a very good book learner, and from what I'm seeing thus far, the CCNA4 book is mainly knowledge based. I figure I'll play on the routers a bit after I get done readin the chapters, and if I'm confident, hopefully take and pass.

I'm pretty consistant on all the free online tests on things not dealing with ISDN/Fram-Relay as that's the book I'm going through right now.

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you've been studying for the current CCNA I woul attempt the current version, there is going to be about 25-35% new matrial in the new course that you would need to reveiw before you would take the new exam. The new exam is going to get harder than the current exam for sure.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    Since you've been studying for the current CCNA I woul attempt the current version, there is going to be about 25-35% new matrial in the new course that you would need to reveiw before you would take the new exam. The new exam is going to get harder than the current exam for sure.

Yeah...that's why the push is for before november for myself. I really don't feel like going back over all the information to detect the changes before I go to take the test.

Granted, most the stuff I'm sure I can pick up from using it at work already, but that's one risk I'd rather not take...not for $125 anyways

• datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    dtlokee wrote:

Yeah...that's why the push is for before november for myself. I really don't feel like going back over all the information to detect the changes before I go to take the test.

Granted, most the stuff I'm sure I can pick up from using it at work already, but that's one risk I'd rather not take...not for $125 anyways

125 is nothing compaid to what expericne and holding the CCNA will give you. Even if you fail 10 times, Lets hope not...but still nothing...compaid to the new salary you can command.
    Arrakis
  • SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wrestled with that as well, as there's a net admin position opening up where I work in a few months so I was thinking of putting of my MCSA to finish off CCNA. Luckily for me though, my boss is part of the hiring process team for that position so he told me to just finish off MCSA and work on the new two part method because they (the hiring team) will accept the CCENT conditionally for the position provided I complete my CCNA within three months of "hiring." So for me, I'm now holding off for the new tests. But in your case, you've been studying the material for a while now so why wait? That's what my boss told me about my MCSA. I've been studying for the exams so why wait and put it off? :)
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    im waiting until late sept/early cotober to take the 801... whats funny here is that my CCNA4 class starts around that time and finishes in december, but i've got more than enough lab equipment and plenty of books & ebooks to go off of that i could probably get it done.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    November? i read somwhere that the new test starts in August. In fact when I go to prometric to rechschedule mine I cant go later than July 31.
    Sucks becuase I have been working so much I havent had time to do much studyin for the last month.
    Myabe I can crunch on Routing for the next 3 days and pull it off. Thats my one big weak area right now.
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    August is when the new test can be taken but you should not have to. November is when you HAVE to take the new test. The reason you can;t take a CCNA test with prometric is because IN August prometric will no longer offer Cisco exams. Cisco is going exlusive with Pearson Vue. IF you want to take the old exam in sept or oct. you can. Just not with prometric. Find a pearson vue testing center.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!