Options

Got a new job.

corey1980corey1980 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just received an offer for a new job working for the government as a "Help Desk Coordinator". I think that is their fancy lingo for level 1 tech support. However, it is a nice jump up from what I currently do where I take 100% incoming phone calls. They said it will be about 50% phone support, 25% remote support including site visits, and 25% special projects where I will build small computer applications, databases, SQL reports, etc. Obviously, working for the government is a nice perk but it also seems like there is a lot more opportunity to move up in the organization. They also pay for school and/or certificiations.

I also get to go back to "normal people" hours again so no more wed-sun 2-11pm. Another huge plus is that I get to ride the bus to work with my wife and I will only be a few blocks from where she works. So, I will save between $125-$150 in gas every month not to mention the cost of repairs for our vehicle(s).

Apparently, I was the only person to answer every technical question correctly and even though the job required an A+ (working on it) I still got the job with the understanding that I will complete the A+ soon.

Anyways, as if you couldn't tell I am really excited and thankful that all my studying and reading paid off during the interview.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats on the new job. Continue to study, don't get distracted!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you are blessed. Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the new role :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's good to hear! Congrats and good luck.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Congrats!!!!

Working for the government can have its perks!!!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and good luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sounds awesome! I wish I could land a nice job like that, I'm doing no better than to apply at a retail/repair shop.
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Best place to be when starting off because the government has a buttload of entry level positions which usually end up being way beyond entry level (can be a good thing or bad thing depending on what you want) hopefully the job gives you opportunities to advance and grow. Congrats! :D
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Way to go

I wish I could get a gov't position :D
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Congrats.

I used to work for government supporting every IT problems they had. It is nice n easy. And people are easygoing. Hope that ease doesn't make you a couch potatoe :)