Options

Job Reference

taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
if new employer asks for a job reference and you are NOT able to give even ONE due to alot of factors such as politics, the favorite supervisor who work close with is on vacation, boss is on vacation, former manager is on vacation, ...etc...can I bring my employee's evaluation form along with promotion letter?

however, evaluation is not really impressive...only about 80%....

need help.... icon_redface.gif
mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3

Comments

• Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Regardless of the fact that someone is on vacation, you should still list them as a reference. I'm sure they'll get ahold of your supervisor.

Maybe you could mention that the reference isn't available for some reason, bring the evaluation and offer that until the reference can be reached.

Or maybe list some personal references.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I always HATED being for references. It was as if I asked someone to jump from the bridge for me :)

The bad news is that employers don't care about reasons why one can't give references: It's a requirment and they must have it.

So bottom line, if I were you and to be on the safe side, I would give them references. It's possible they won't care if they dont' have references. That's both possible and impossible!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just give them the reference. If you don't you will not get any further with this company.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    taktsoi wrote:
    the favorite supervisor who work close with is on vacation, boss is on vacation, former manager is on vacation,

Tak - It doesn't matter whether they can get a hold of them (he can't be on vacation forever), just use the manager(s) you liked for a reference and explain that they are unavailable currently and let them know when they should return.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First, let understand what is a reference.

Reference is someone that know you from your last position. Usually it is your supervisor, however it is not necessary, because the key is to identify your experience on your resume.

For example, I have my former IT manager as my reference, but he is not my first line supervisor.

The key is "Don't Lie" and if you are fired from the last job. Please don't use your ex-boss as reference, put down someone else that know about your job.

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn