Options

E-Mail Format - Plain Text or Formatted Text?

GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
I am having a heck of a time with format of my cover letter.

When I send out my plain text cover letter by e-mail, different e-mail programs (Outlook, Thunderbird) read the fonts differently. Sometimes the font looks too large or too small. Sometimes it would go to two pages.

How to get the font to stay the same for all the e-mail programs?

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Unless otherwise specified, always send a pdf.
  • Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I always just put it in the body of the email and attach my resume in word-format. Is this wrong?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    mog27 wrote:
    I always just put it in the body of the email and attach my resume in word-format. Is this wrong?

Nothing is wrong, Sh*t you can go to an interview with no pants on if you like. My preference is just a pdf, its simple stupid and business class universal.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Unless an employer or recruiter requests a specific document format (Word seem to be the most requested because it can be easily edited), always send your resume as a PDF. PDF files are also not as likely to be eaten by spam filters as other file formats are, which is a *BIG* concern these days when seeking employment via email.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    [you can go to an interview with no pants on if you like.

Maybe a phone interview! icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    For the body of the e-mail should it be plain text or rich text format?
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    garv221 wrote:
    mog27 wrote:

Nothing is wrong, Sh*t you can go to an interview with no pants on if you like. My preference is just a pdf, its simple stupid and business class universal.

That's right. The "no pants" approach is usually deemed risky and is often frowned upon by the uneducated masses. However, those who have had extensive experience with interviewing know that the best way to exude confidence is with a clearly visible (and clearly shorn) scrotum.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    icon_lol.gif
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your really in doubt, I'd recommend plain text. That way there is no chance they are going to have problems reading it, even if they use Mutt to read their email!

I think its possible to worry about these things too much though. As long as your email is void of obvious errors and is in a fairly common format, you will be fine.
  • Options
    felicia barnesfelicia barnes Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your resume can only be sent in plain text format for best results. Many employers and recruiters do not accept attachments due to the large file size and also because attachments can contain viruses.
  • Options
    felicia barnesfelicia barnes Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After reading this from one of the companies I was seeking employment, I think it depends on the company. The was sent to me months ago from a recruiter.

First, send your resume as an attachment. The most popular word processors are Word and WordPerfect. If your resume is in one of these 2 formats, you should have no trouble.

But, because attachments can contain viruses, a growing number of employers prefer that you send the resume in the body of your email.

To do this, just copy and paste the text into your email message.