Options

Which one should I do first CCDA or CCNP?

michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
I finished my CCNA a few weeks ago and was wondering if I should do the CCDA or the CCNP next (after I finish my Security+) Also is the CCDA as hard as the CCNA or maybe easier or harder?

Comments

• Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    I kind of wondered that same thing. I'm planning to get my CCDA and eventually CCDP but decided to go for the CCNP first since it lines up better with my current job requirements and opportunities for promotion.

George
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CCDA 640-863 The new exam assumes BCMSN knowledge etc. The material is as difficult or more so than the CCNA but in a different way. Because you are talking design the questions are more theoretical(for lack of a better term) and also in some ways more convoluted.

It is not an exam to be taken lightly. That was true though even with the former 640-861.

If you are going for the CCNP anyway, you might want to do that first or at least get through the BCMSN material before attempting it. Otherwise you could just tailor your studies to learn now what you need for the CCDA exam and go for it.

Good luck! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well personally I thought the CCDA was way harder.

I can give you some advise though, if you go take the CCDA thinking you'll pass it with what you already know from field experince then i can probably garuentee you that you'll fail it. You must really know the Cisco Press CCDA book cover to cover.

Any who CCNA is more valuable :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is no doubt it was a tough exam! Unfortunately in the marketplace the CCNA is looked upon with more favor.

As mgeorge27, said you will not pass it based on field experience and the new version's material is a real mind tweaker! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.