Options

Nasty Run In w/ Exchange 2007

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
Ahhhh, I knew it wouldn't last; a flawless transition from Exchange 2K to 2007. Ran into an issue yesterday about 4:00PM that kept me at the office until 12:45 am this morning. As you might know Exchange 2007 isn't the best with public folders and the only Outlook clients who don't need mapi (public folders) to access Exchange 07 is Outlook 2007. No one (except a select few w/ 07) could access e-mail yesterday, the public folders would not mount. Exchange 2K had been removed for a month now and everything was fully replicated. So the logical problem was thought t0 be a corrupted database as it had log file header errors.

Order of my approach
1. Tried removing the public database so a fresh, new DB could be mounted and get mapi clients some access. - Denied
2. Tried a restore of the database from backups- No mount, errors...multiple reboots
3. Tried accessing the public tree hierarchy from Exchange 2K manager & all commands with 2K7 power shell. No Luck
4. Worked with Eseutil and every command available to get something from the DB. No luck just errors.
5. Worked with ADSI - no luck
6. Took a step back -read every log file generated within a reasonable time, troubleshot from every angle and possible situation and narrowed it down to the public tree hierarchy.
7. Using ADSI edited the MS Exchange services container and objects creating a new hierarchy folder and public folder with the correct values and pointers of my exchange 2007 server. Restarted the store and back online. If you ever run into this issue here is the format for the fix.

1. Right click on Exchange Administrative Group

2. Select New Object

3. Select msExchPublicFolderTreeContainer for the class and click Next

4. Enter the following for the value: Folder Hierarchies, click Next

5. Click Finish

Create Public Folder Tree Object

1. Right click CN=Folder Hierarchies -> New Object

2. Selected msExchPFTree for the class

3. For the value we entered, "Public Folders" and clicked next

4. Clicked on the "More Attributes" button, selected msExchPFTreeType and set the

value to 1. Note: This is very important that this value is set to a value of 1 as

this tells Exchange that this is a MAPI Tree

5. Click Ok and then finish

Populate msExchOwningPFTreeBL attribute object of the PF Stores in the organization

(Since this attribute is not directly editable, you have to follow the below steps

to do this for each PF store)

1. Get properties of the newly created "Public Folders" Tree object in ADSIEdit.

2. Copy the distinguishedname value to the clipboard and then click cancel.

3. Navigate to the Storage group that contains the Public Folder Store for this

server and get properties of the server.

4. Locate the msExchOwningPFTree attribute and paste in the value that was copied

to the clipboard in step 2. Click OK.

5. Restart the Information Store Service

6. Now try to mount the PF store and see if we can access it fine now.