Options

I may have a job, please help!

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
*Posted in wrong forum last time, sorry*

If anyone reads this within an hour, help me out. I've got a phone interview for a job at a local computer shop and I need to know how much money to ask for. As I live in an area with very few meaningful jobs, I was thinking that $10 was too much. The experience means as much to me as the money, so I was thinking. Is $8 an hour too cheap? I'll basically be upgrading and repairing PC's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I don't know what 'normal' rates are in your area. But 'I' would start with $10, not $8 ;)
  • Options
    I was thinking about that, but didn't want to ask for too much and ruin my chances at the job.
  • Options
    So you don't think asking for $10 to start with would affect my chances at the job?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would ask for at least $10/hour. I got paid $15 per to do similar contact work. If you ask for too little, they may think you don't have enough confidence in your own abilities. If they offer more, take it.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Alright then, I'll plan on asking for $10. I'm still waiting on the call though. :)
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Here it's pretty common that you don't mention a payrate at all. In the interview they tell you what the pay is and at what time you'll be able to get raises. My teacher always recommended leaving the "pay rate / salary" section of a application blank.

Things may be different there though. Personally I would take $8 an hour in a heartbeat just for the experience. On the same note, I don't think $10 is asking too much at all.

Good Luck icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    I wouldn't mention pay rate at all, but he asked me to think about it when we spoke yesterday and to tell him today what I would like to be paid.
  • Options
    Hmm, I need some more help. When I said $10 per hour, he start talking, but basically said that was pretty high for this area and that the upper level people there barely make that much an hour. He said he knew that other local shops paid $5.25 and $6 an hour. He told me to call around and find out, as he wanted to pay me more than them and wanted to be fair. I can't imagine only getting $5.25 for doing this work...I can make that at Pizza Hut or McDonalds. I'll still take the job for the experience, and since I need the money. BTW, I'm in college and really only need something part time to pay for books, gas, car payments, etc. Please give any information or helpful comments that you can.

Also, they have no other techs from what I understand. I'm a bit worried that I'll get into a situation where I'm not sure what to do then have him think, "Why did I hire this guy?"
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    First off, try to put some more confidence in yourself. If you're going to be the only tech, make the boss want to pat himself on the back for hiring you. Always have a good reference available, even it's just a study guide. As far as the wages, that totally sucks!!! In the Northeast US, the average pay for that is close to $12 or more commensurate with experience and education. If that's all you can get, the experience will be good for you, especially being in school, but that just sounds really cheap. I would definitely look around at other shops as far as 50 miles away to reference for a fair, above average wage. This must be a very small shop, and if they have no one else, they must want you. Make them pay you, but don't lose it. Again, remember, confidence is key, even after you get the spot, and on the job. Good luck.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You could try to talk him into paying you 5.25 for a month, kinda like a trial period, and after hat you want to renegotiate the pay. You'll have one month to make yourself indispensable, which is easier when there are no other techs. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    And remember, would you rather be flipping pizza's? Or working on comps.. If it comes down to it do it "in the meantime" till you get more xperience..
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    Agreed. You're all right and offer great advice. I called a local shop which is larger and they only start off paying $6 an hour. The shop I'm looking is really small. Their main business is cell phones, but he said that he's looking into building back the PC part and really needs someone to run that part of the store. BTW, I talked directly to the owner and founder of the company, if that gives you any idea. icon_wink.gif

I think I'll try to get around $7 or $8 and try to negotiate some sort of "evaluation period." I won't pass this up though. I only have my A+ and soon to have my Network+, so another job like this may be hard to come by with no experience. This will give me much needed experience to put on future resumes. Thanks for everything, and keep up with the suggestions! Every little thing helps.
  • Options
    Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Heres a tip from someone who can't find a computer job with 2 AAS degrees and CCNA.....take the job even if it pays minimum wage, you need the experience, that matters most these days and unless you have a bachelors or masters degree, you won't be able to get a IT job unless you have several years of IT experience.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i don't know if i would agree with the working for minimum wage for the experience angle, but certainly agree that in a position where you agree over a wage rather than it being set by a trade union or whatever, that starting small and agreeing (probably in writing too ;)) to a probationary period is a good thing.

if they deal with cell phones but want to expand into computers, i would suggest that you get your thinking-cap on, that, as a pc tech, you will want to keep yourself in a job, so the more you can do to create profitable building/upgrade/repair work and have returning customers, the more liekly you are to be: a) retained; b) rewarded fanancially ;)
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    Wll, though it sounded promising during the first two phone calls, I'm not sure I'll actually get the job. He basically turned completely around from "definately being able to find a place for me" to "wanting experienced techs who can get the pc's that are backed up, out the door." What's even better is that if I do get a call, I'll be there with 3 or 4 others and the best two get to keep the job.

Hopefully he calls, as I'm not too worried about competing with others. What I lack in the actual technical part of it, I make up for in my ability to learn fast and not being afraid to actually work.
  • Options
    mynameisboringmynameisboring Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Above all make sure you get along with your boss!

Even if you are a shitty tech, you'll keep your job longer if the boss likes you. Escpecially though if there are 4 techs and 2 have to go. What will he base his decision on? He certainly won't know all the good things you did.