Options

Newbie Here

MLEarlMLEarl Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am going to school at computertraining.com. I travel 2 hours just one way to get my schooling and get my certifications. I have taken the 70-270 test and failed it. I thought I knew this stuff. I even passed the self test they gave us with 90 and 98. Then I went and took the test and only got a 452. I was so upset and depressed. Didn't know what to do or what to do to pass the test. Our teacher is now telling us that we have to reschedule our exams again and if we don't we get an F. So I rescheduled for Monday August the 6 and I am scared to death. One of my friends at school failed her test the first time also and just took it again yesterday and failed again. This friend of mine is making good grades and is passing the self test just like me. My problem is that I have spent a lot of money going to this school and spend a lot of gas money to get to school. I don't have a lot of money to buy anything to help with this exam and I so want to pass it. I don't know where to turn to help me pass the exam. The self test must not be working for me or something. I am really not sure. Is there anyone who can help me. I really would appreciate it because I am lost.
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Tell us about what you have done to prepare. Not all classes will teach you everything you need to know. What are you using for practice exams - Transcender?

I would suggest reading the Technotes on this website. They are well done and should help you determine the areas you do not understand.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    I have the self test softerware from selftestsoftware.com That is what the school gave us. I go to school at computertraining.com I thought I knew and understood it. I was getting 90 and 100 on all my self test. That is why I couldn't understand why I failed. The teacher told us that if we could pass the self test then we would pass the real exam. I guess that was my fault for believing him. lol My husband seems to think it was my nerves. I went to school last night and for the second time some one failed the 270 exam. Don't you think it is odd that out of 20 students that only 5 have passed the exam and that we our on our second time around of taking the exam and the first 2 have failed again for the second time. This is very odd to me.
  • Options
    gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    It might be nervouness or you put your money into the drain when you decided to take that class.
    Anyway, I believe with proper studying you can pass. Just try a different method before your retake.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)
  • Options
    nickmak86nickmak86 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't trust anybody but yourself... Think about it first, how did you feel when you met the real exam questions?

Cheers,
    Nick
  • Options
    Good Morning,
    I am wondering or should I say have been wondering if I did send my money down the drain when I started taking this class. There have been things done that have surprised me that the instructor has done that I thought now wait a minute. For example he will say no one uses that any more so we are not going through it but you will need it for the exam or we don't use it so I am not going to teach it but you will need it for the exam. This bothers me a lot. I figure I pay good money to learn this and the instructor needs to teach it even if they don't use it.

The first time I took my exam I was so nervous. My husband drove me there because the place I have to go is a 1 1/2 hour drive and so while he was driving I was taking the pretest exam on my lap top. When I walked in the place they inform me that I couldn't take anything in. Which I knew that and that was ok with me but I realized going through my purse that I had money in there and I asked if I could put my money in my pocket and they informed me that I couldn't. Did they really think I would have answers written down on my money. lol But I understood and said ok. Then I got into the exam room and realized I was being video tapped. Now I knew that I was going to be timed which bothered me a little but when I seen the video tape that really bothered me. I kept watch the darn thing. Then I kept thinking about my husband waiting on me in the car and I think personally I rushed through the test and my nerves got the best of me. But I am not 100% sure that was the problem either. I feel I know this stuff but then I always wonder if I really do. Did I just memorize the answers on the selftest and that is why I get good results?
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless you are going for a degree or someone else is paying for it I always feel self study is the best method for most exams. I am not sure what book(s) you are using to study but you may need to pick up something else to help. I recommend the 70-270 Microsoft Press book, also make sure you get some experience with Windows XP Pro. If you don't have a copy of it the book I mentioned comes with a trial version. You can either install it on a spare computer or use Virtual PC 2007 which is free from Microsofts website. Make sure you take a look at the exam objectives for the exam before you take it again. Links provided bellow, good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/MCSA-MCSE-Self-Paced-Training-70-270/dp/0735621527/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2525637-9456000?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186064177&sr=8-1

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2