International Mathematics Olympics Results 2007

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
For those of you crunching numbers here are the results.

Russia came top. They have always produced good mathematicians.

http://www.imo2007.edu.vn/index.php?module=ViewResultByCountry.php

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    WTF!!! Seriously, people actually study for a math "olympiad"?....I find it hard to call it an Olympiad, but whatever makes them happy...I surely couldn't answer these question....congrats to the winners though...

The following is an excerpt from the questions given in English, on Day 1.....

Problem 1. Real numbers a1, a2, . . . , an are given. For each i (1 i n) define di = max{aj : 1 j i} − min{aj : i j n} and let d = max{di : 1 i n}. (a) Prove that, for any real numbers x1 x2 · · · xn, max{|xi − ai| : 1 i n} d2. ()
    (b) Show that there are real numbers x1 x2 · · · xn such that equality holds
    in ().

Problem 2. Consider five points A,B,C,D and E such that ABCD is a parallelogram
    and BCED is a cyclic quadrilateral. Let L be a line passing through A. Suppose that
    L intersects the interior of the segment DC at F and intersects line BC at G. Suppose
    also that EF = EG = EC. Prove that L is the bisector of angle DAB.

Problem 3. In a mathematical competition some competitors are friends. Friendship
    is always mutual. Call a group of competitors a clique if each two of them are friends. (In
    particular, any group of fewer than two competitors is a clique.) The number of members
    of a clique is called its size.
    Given that, in this competition, the largest size of a clique is even, prove that the
    competitors can be arranged in two rooms such that the largest size of a clique contained
    in one room is the same as the largest size of a clique contained in the other room.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    4 & 1/2 hours for a maths problem that barely fits half a page icon_eek.gif

I wonder what an Honourable Mention is? Maybe they were left with a remainder or forgot to carry a one :) Close but not close enough, I'm afraid we'll have to place you in the 'bit thick' column icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, some smart people there. We will rely on these people come the Deep Impact like asteroid! icon_wink.gif
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ricka182 wrote:
    problems

I can answer those.

Problem 1: Bob

Problem 2: What's that about a quad motorcycle?

Problem 3: That's easy. Pull the fire alarm. No one in the building. Answer is 0
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All I need is an abacus to answer those, noooo problem. icon_confused.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suck at math lol those questions you posted hurt my brain cells I think I am going to go to bed now as I am really puzzled icon_eek.gif
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    how would you like to be the russian that received silver and the rest of his peers were gold.

dude go get the peanuts!!!
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!