Options

What really are my chances?

nfshadnfshad Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wanted some other opnions if possible. I can currently 25 years old going to a technical school getting my certfications. I currently have my A+ and Network +. By the time I am done, I am going to have my MCSE CCNA and Security + I am currently now going for my MCP. I hear so much about being a papered MCSE. Now I dont expect to make 100k a year once I get my certification but I am hoping at the end, I will be aleasted looked at more by employers. Do the certifications count even though I dont have the exp. I mean you have to start out somewhere right? Has anyone ever been in my shoes being full of certs but having trouble getting started in the IT department. I would be so happy with a junky helpdesk job but everywhere I go, They are asking for exp that I dont have but I have the certifications. But you need the certifications to get the job. Am I going crazy or what?

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You are not going crazy man, you just have to approach this whole deal in another way.

I was in about the same situation you are right now and actually kinda am a bit still. Basically i was going to finish the computer science program in my school and would go out to find a job with no expeirence but only a degree. so i was thinking "who will hire someone with a degree but no experience?" something that you are thinking right now.

When i got my A+ i got approached by recruiters and landed my first job, now i have experience, i have A+ and soon(maybe 6months, i will have my degree.) and then will go for other certs to build and improve my chances even more.

When recruiters look at your resume and see that you have all those certs but no experience they get suspicious for various reasons. Dont reveal all your certs all at once. Create different versions of your resume with different certs on them. You need to show them that you are certified to work in the field but you need your foot in the door. Start slowly and once you get that first job then start building your resume even more.

I dont know if what im saying makes sense to you, but that makes sense to me, or atleast thats what i would do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should be looking to go ahead and gain some experience now, instead of cramming a bunch of intermediate level certs in before you graduate college. Now that you are A+ and N+ and at least have some college training or book knowledge, you should be able to find something contract/temp/part time in the industry in a call center/support/break fix position and get started. That should now be your second priority, besides doing well in school. The extra CCNA, MCSE, Security+, etc aren't going to do you a lot of good as an entry level with no experience, though they will definitely be of benefit further down the road. So you can focus on them later down the road.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Certifications are to prove you have that level of experience and knowledge. You should try to get a low level job to gain some experience before getting certified in a subject you don't really know anything about. These are called "paper certs" and won't really help you much with out the experience to back it up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    felicia barnesfelicia barnes Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've gotten several helpdesk jobs without certifications, however I have two associate degrees. I'm working towards my A+ certification thinking maybe this will help me get a career in computer administration or an engineer at least something. Helpdesk is good, but I'm tired of it. I think it has a lot to do with how you sell yourself. Like I said, I had no experience whatsoever and got a job right out of college as a PC helpdesk technician years ago. However last year I did work as a Helpdesk technician to get extra money. The school I'm attending talks about the same company I worked for during class. Telling the new students they have a good chance of getting hired once they receive their certification. I had none and was hired.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think certs get you hired. They may help you get an interview, but once you are there it is your personality and the impression you leave that gets you the job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    elgecko69elgecko69 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do the certifications count even though I don't have the exp?

Yes. As you study for your certification you will gain knowledge that you didn't have before. They will count. I feel that "paper" certs are people who cannot actually do what they are certified in. Recruiters here in DC want to know "What have you done" before "What are you certified in". I can only tell you what I have experienced.

#1 Education
    #2 Experience
    #3 Certifications
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is very difficult to get a job just by certification. Remember certification only help you to enhance your skills and experience. You need to look for an entry level job and need to travel to further out from your hometown area.

It is tough, but doable. EXPERIENCE is the KEY..! Don't go crazy on the certification until you get a job.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    Agreed as well, I was told by many recruiters as well, a MCSE with no experience of actual administration actually looks negative on a resume to some employees. It's a different story even with 1-2 years help desk experience however.

My current set up is going to be a year of help desk covered with an MSCA, A+, N+, S+ and ccna.
    70-291 Next....