Win2003 Lab : 70-290

Hi guys, i am new to Win2k3 server. I have a personal Dell computer with Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition Installed. Its is multiboot configured with WinXP Pro and WinXP Home. My question is .....

1. Can i configure it to be a Domain Controller without having a Physical Network ?
2. What are Essential configs i need to make for Lab Practice on AD and Terminal Services ?
3. I do have a basic Compaq desktop as well if that could be made use of. any help ?

Thank you.
MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3

Comments

• techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1. Can i configure it to be a Domain Controller without having a Physical Network ?

If you have enough memory, run VMWare or Virtual server. I used Virtual Server and was able to create 5 DC's, each in their own seperate network, with 2 clients with virtual NICs in each network. It will require using RRAS(which is a 70-291 topic) to have that kind of config. If you want to keep it simple just stand up 2 DC's(you won't need more than this for 290) and 2 clients in 1 or 2 networks(each NIC in its own network) should be more than enough for labwork.

2. What are Essential configs i need to make for Lab Practice on AD and Terminal Services ?

You will need to know ADUC(AD users and computers), how to make a server a domain controller, how to add users to a domain and set rights and permissions. Be able to create OU and set properties and delegate control. Terminal Services is not a really big deal just install it and play around with it. There are three snap-ins you will need to know TS manager, TS configuration, and TS licensing.

3. I do have a basic Compaq desktop as well if that could be made use of. any help ?

Maybe, slap a 2nd NIC in your DC as well as your desktop and run through labs in MS Press, or online labs. Only a few of the labs require 2 NICs, but it would be good practice.

Good luck
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    Thanks a ton techster79 ... :D . ... can you give further info on how to setup VMWare. I had downloaded Microsoft Virtual PC Before but could not succesfully configure it. Is it the same .. or sumthing new ? how to go about configuring it ... any particular services required ?

Thanks ...
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    try virtual pc from microsoft it works a lil better the vmware and take less resource plus u can use the same NICs on your computer without having to use a virtual NIC with vmware, a new version of virtual server from microsoft came out and is free im working on da one an so far is seems pretty good but i still think virtual pc 2007 is easier to use
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ilcram when are you retaking your 70-290, I am taking mine today, I am studying the simulation and will be on my way, wish me luck...
  • tonydotigrtonydotigr Member Posts: 129
    I would second VirtualPC.
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    hey guys .. can anyone tell me how much is ACTIVE DIRECTORY focussed on in 70-290 ... ??
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    At least a third; user A/Cs, computer A/Cs, publishing printers in AD and then there is the non-AD file permissions, backups, drivers etc. 70-294 is more nitty gritty with AD. And 70-297 is more focused on AD design.
    Yes we can, yes we can...