Free Utility

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have no hair left on my head after frantically searching for a MSI creator tool that also compreses the MSI into 1 file.

I have made an MSI using WinInstall LE but this version has no compression capability so the MSI i have created is sourcing all the files from my computer instead of being contained inside itself.

WinInstall full version is not free so i cannot use this.

Can someone please help i have googled it a hundred times and installed many apps

Lee H

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Lee,

I recall that you run Ghost Corporate. Can you use the AI packager? You can then deploy the app via the Ghost console. Is there a specific reason you want to use MSI? Perhaps to push via AD/GPO?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi Spymark

I am in a new job, have only been here 6 weeks, they have no Ghost software that was my first question, instead they have installed every piece of software manually since the year dot.

This is not to be deployed using AD but just to ease the setup of any clients, reducing the amount of time it takes to re-install an app, MSI files have been around for years am very pissed that this process is not easy, microsoft bull**** as usual, they have to make it so bloody conveluted

Let me know if you have any idea how i compress my MSI into 1 file, that is all i need to do then i can make an MSI for every software title like in the school

Lee H
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Regarding the whole aspect of manually deploying software

Can't you like Automate software installations by storing software on the server then creating a script containing a anwser file and code to install software automatically. Roll this out onto client machines and execute the script remotley?

Or am I just talknig nonsense? lol
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Ally that sounds like a good plan, except i would not know were to begin writing a script for a peice of software, i am so close to being able to use MSI's though i would rather go down that route, all i need is to compress the files into 1 MSI instead of the MSI being 188Kb and all the source files being on my PC

Any help would be great

Lee H
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Lee H wrote:
    Ally that sounds like a good plan, except i would not know were to begin writing a script for a peice of software, i am so close to being able to use MSI's though i would rather go down that route, all i need is to compress the files into 1 MSI instead of the MSI being 188Kb and all the source files being on my PC

Any help would be great

Lee H

As far as software installs go, I use a script language called AutoIT . A simple one to pick up IMO.

Travis