Options

e-business with mis degree?

tweezytweezy Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
i have recently gotten interested in e-business and web design and that sort of thing --- i have always kinda wanted to open my own business, but this just seems a little more interesting. i am majoring in MIS right now, but i havent taken any classes dealing with this a lot yet. can you do something of this nature with a MIS degree? the reason i ask is because i know at some colleges they have e-business as a major or something closely related. i had MIS and CS to choose from, but CS is totally not for me. i am not a "computer geek" as they say, i just like the way they can enhance a business and such
i guess what i am asking is if i am making the right decision with this major for what i want to do?

Comments

• Options
    wow, dont everybody respond at the same time
    i have noticed that happens alot on this board -- i have seen peoples threads with many many views and maybe 6 responses
    my question has had 34 views and nobody has even said hello

there is somebody that has asked some questions just a couple threads down that has had 149 views and not one single response ---- thats ridiculous
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tweezy wrote:
    i have noticed that happens alot on this board -- i have seen peoples threads with many many views and maybe 6 responses

there is somebody that has asked some questions just a couple threads down that has had 149 views and not one single response ---- thats ridiculous

Maybe no one has valid advice for you after reading your post.

I could say that you've made the wrong decision in going to college all together. That would be bad advice but it's an answer. Is that what you're looking for?

When you say you're interested in e-business, what part? You seem to indicate you like web design (or development perhaps) but CS is not for you. e-business is a big topic, advertising, supply chain, sales, and the list goes on.

MIS degrees are usually a bit of CS and a lot of management classes with some marketing what not. Depending on the classes in your major it may be well suited for developing your own e-businees, or not.

Look at the exact classes you'll be attending and see how they fit into what you want to do. The key is to have a degree in somthing, anything. Mine's in EE but I haven't used it a day in my life, was hired as a C++ programmer right out of college.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    tweezy wrote:

Whats wrong with people??? Nobody forced you to post here. Go ask your college counseler if you're not happy here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tweezy wrote:

Talking down to people is simply the best method when trying to ask for their help. >_<
  • Options
    misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tweezy wrote:

Hello.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    What's wrong with these new members that are coming here and totally making an arse out of themselves? Or is it just the new kids graduating from HS and entering post-secondary with their bad boy attitude?

Before we talk about MIS and CS, let's talk about something more important:
    #1, wipe that attitude off your back right now before you get yourself hurt real bad in college
    #2, do you know how many people you have just offended by saying CS = computer geek?
    #3, do you even know anything about CS? Why are you saying that it is not for you? How much of it do you know about?

The list could go on if you want it to, but hopefully you're getting my drift.

Now that we have those out of the way, we can talk in a civil manner now;

If you're REALLY passionate about web design, MIS is not what you want to major it, CS is. I just graduate from CS with a Management Science/MIS specialization, they are related because a good web site is concerned about productivity measured in various ways, and web design is concerned with achieving those productivity. MIS, or Management theory is general is particularly concerned about productivity and project perspectives of a problem set.

Now if you're strictly interested in web design, you have to think about which aspect of it want to do...the programming and development part? which is heavily CS-related, or the graphic design part? which is heavily arts and animation related.

As you go further into your MIS program, you will realize there is alot of economics, accounting, finance, and perhaps even some OB.

Bottom line: don't assume anything, drill down and ask questions, what is CS? What is MIS? What is web design? do I want to do it? Why do I want to do it? Do I know what it is? etc....
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    hello all - i sincerely apologize for my rant the other day - i was having a bad day dealing with moving back to school and so on......... i am actually a junior in college (simply by hours) but i am still taking the basic business major classes, so if i change majors now, i will not be pushed back any as i will be taking the same classes at this point anyway for any major in the school of business anyway ---- now, as far as the "computer geek" part, i was not calling anyone that which is why i put it in quotes, and i have heard some CS majors as my university refer to themselves as that - that was simply it, i just thought it would help anyone understand what i meant ---- now, as far as MIS and CS go, i know both do a deal of programming, but i am just not a big fan of programming. i am more interested in USING computers to enhance the workplace rather than working ON a computer itself --- i hope that makes sense.

the thing is, i worked for a few years before i even went to college and i worked for a computer repair business. when i went to school i just went on and majored in MIS, but the truth is, is that if i had never worked for that place (which was only because i was friends with the owners son) i would have never considered a career in MIS. i am just one of those people that when i have a job, i want to know everything i can about what i am doing. i am really struggling right now in trying to find a major/career that suits me and that i am genuinely interested in, and i cannot come up with anything! i know that isnt any of your problems to deal with, just letting everyone know the situation i am in and why i am so damn confused.

anyway, if anyone has any advice i am hear to take it! and again, i apologize or my stupidness the other day!
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    #2, do you know how many people you have just offended by saying CS = computer geek?

Ummmm, zero. Methinks you've forgotten what it use to be like coding in the lab with the nocturnal pale-faced virgins...
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]