Options

Promotion / Raise Question

SharpieSharpie Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Originally posted in the wrong section.......

I've worked for a cable company in internet / voip support for a little more than a year. I've applied for and been offered a supervisory position within the dept. I will indirectly supervise a staff of right at 100 employees and have direct responsibility for 30-35 reps. The job is a salaried position and that conversation is scheduled to take place tomorrow. I am currently hourly and make $27,725 annually including a differential for second shift. That is based on a 40 hr work week. I work a little OT and I'm on pace to make about 33K this year. We no longer have a tier 2 dept at our location, so mgmt is the only move to make within the company to gain additional experience.

Can anyone provide any guidance as to what my expected salary range should be? I have a feeling that the initial offer is going to be.....disappointing to say the least.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, it depends on the responsibilities and what their "pay scale" or "salary grade" is for a position like this within the company, which is a fancy way of defining the range that your salary has to fall within. You might be able to get this information from your HR department. I would venture that they are going to want to pay you toward the bottom end of the scale, since you have little experience and no management experience. I seriously doubt you can expect 70-80K like the person in the other thread said.

If I were in your situation it wouldn't let it bother me that much, it IS advancement early in your career, and great management experience at that. If you can find out from HR what the salary range is for the position you were offered, then do. Make sure you do get a good raise out of it. I don't mean double or 70-80K, but get a raise.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Whats going to keep you from getting the $70 to $80 is the amount of raise would have to be to get up to that much. If you were new to the company coming it to the mangement position it would be a different story and could demand a higher salary. blargoe is right, they aren't going to give you a 100% pay raise. That is why most people change jobs when they want a major upgrade in salary.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.